• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How did you do

Hunted long and hard both days and wound up 3 for 10. Expected it to be much better, but as most people are saying the corn really made it tough by late morning on Saturday. I saw 9 deer by 10:00 Sat. morning. After that, nothing! Guess I shouldn't have been so selective in my buck size this year. I had an opportunity and hesitated on a couple of descent 6 pointers and let them go. What a mistake that was!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually get a buck tag every 3rd year or so. This year I had my buck tag and picked up a second doe tag for $50.00. Also, by saying "we" I am talking about a group not implying party hunting. I also do not agree with party hunting because while hunting in Minnesota I have watched a number of people shoot "extra" deer while hunting and try to sort out the tags after the deer is down only to find that too many deer have been shot and they leave it lay. Keep trying in your applications and you will get drawn. Also, try not to hunt in an area with many guides as there will be more non-residents applying for that same unit because they prefer to have a guided hunt. Try to find an area with no guides and no mule deer and you will have a much better success at being drawn for your tag. You are correct as 1% of total available licenses for that unit are available for non-residents. Additionally half of that 1% is set aside for guides, therefore if you have guides within that unit then your chances to be drawn are dramatically reduced. Most likely in 2H you have guides for pheasants who additionaly are guides for deer also. As a side note, I hunt just north of that unit in 2I. My mother is from Napoleon and have family that still lives in the area, hence the reason why I apply for 2I.

This year it was my 3rd year to get a tag. One guy in our group was on his 5th year. I'd say the average is 4 yrs. in our area. At 5 yrs, your chances are nearly 100%. Your name goes in the lottery 25 times vs. 4 for 4 yrs.

I was in a town called Alida on Upper Rice Lake (15 minutes North of Itasca State Park) Saturday morning I got in my stand around 6:00 AM and started working my Doe Estrus Bleat can and a large Deer (not sure of sex) came charging through the woods and past me through the thick brush, I thought I had scared the thing?? so I waited a few more minutes and did it again... crunch, crunch it goes barreling back the same way it came. I don't think this Deer had a clue were the sound was coming from... anyways the does were walking along the lake shore about 100 yards away and a buck is following them in the woods slightly back of them... I set my scope ahead of the deer on the trail were the thick stuff breaks up and waited... he stuck his fat buck in rut neck out and I hit him with a 130 grain from my 270 WSM. The rack wasn't that big but the deer was large.

Thank God for Kyle McCollar, one of our hunting partners. He has shot five deer so far. The three larger animals were 2 - ten- pointers and 1 - big 8 pointer. Also had a nice buck run into his van on the way to hunt. It must be his year.

I finally bagged a real nice one. Saturday morning at 8am, the guys next to us were looking for a small buck they were trailing. Fortuneately for me, Big Daddy was lounging between us, and they kicked him my way. I heard the distinct sound of a deer running, grabbed my gun, and saw antlers as clear as the day was. A "shooter" in my book. At 80 yds he stopped to look back at what was chasing around behind him. The rest is history, and he is going on my wall.

I measured it at 144 gross. Plus or minus several inches, since I have never measured a rack. Inside spread is 19 1/2 inches.

Deer opener 2004 6.JPG

Deer opener 2004 3.JPG

Nutty,

We hunt up by Isanti. I live in St. Peter. Sorry, I probably should have put that in my post. I haven't talked to anyone down here as of today to see how things went. Congrats on your deer!

Joel

I only hunt ND when I draw a buck tag. I go out sometimes with the guys that draw and bring a camera along and help them find bucks. I plan to start bowhunting that area as I think it would be real good. Sounds like you bowhunt ND Dunn? Any big bucks with the bow out there? The guy we were hunting with on opener shot the states 2nd largest bow kill a couple years ago - 196 or something adjusted...

Gissert

I am bowhunting Crow Hassan Park(St Michael) on Friday and Saturday morning. Then jumping in the car, and coming up to rifle hunt Sat night and Sunday morning.

I gotta believe the corn is coming down in masses this week.

We still have one buck tag open(and of course loads of anterless permits that we have no intention of filling unless a wounded animal comes by and needs dispatching).

I don't believe we had any other large bucks using our property based on trail camera photos, but that doesnt mean another big boy hasn't been chased our way with all the activity last weekend in the woods, and now all the field activity. Crossing my fingers and praying Dad gets his chance to bag a monster. He is due!

We have shot some very nice 3 1/2 year old deer with the bow and have had some close encounters with some true grinders but the biggest to date with the bow is somwhere around 135". The biggest I shot was a 127" eight last year. I'll be back out there in 23 hours waiting for one of those monsters to get within 30 yds.

Dunns,

It really isn't that tough to let one of those monsters walk by. In fact I saw 2 this year that would be between 145-160" well within the range of my rifle. The fact that I was out near such a truly impressive animal and I know he would have been mine is rewarding in itself. The memories that I receive from hunting and the time and dedication that I have also put into this makes this rewarding. I know that these animals will be the main breeders in this area so good genetics will help my opportunity in the future to shoot my 170"+ buck.

BLB -

Good luck on the stick flinging.

The in laws started combining corn last week. They are in no big hurry after they did the math on the propane drying costs: 44 cents a bushel. That a lot of $$$ when corn is at two dollars.

The wife is gonna hunt the farm on Saturday and Sunday, so I'll probably hunt with her. We'd like a couple more deer for the frezer yet.

Iceman let me get this straight- you have a buck tag in your pocket but you let a 160" deer walk? Not many people even see 160" deer in their lifetime. A 160" buck is very, very big. That is very impressive- I have been hunting very hard (25+ days per year) in the same area for three years and I have only seen 3-4 bucks that would gross over 170". And I do hunt in what I think is one of the best areas in the state (or least in the county I hunt). To let a 160" deer walk is almost unbelieveable.

Yikes, I have never even seen a 150" deer while on stand. Much less a 160 or bigger yet.

This year I came close to a 150, but thats far and away bigger than anything I have ever seen while hunting. Close or far away.

Impressive to say the least to pass on deer that size.

I am going to pull the bull#%#@ card. If any of you are or were passing on 160 class deer, you better quit your day jobs and start hunting professionally, cause you could have your own TV series. I'm with Biglakeba$$ in most people dont even see 150, let alone pass on 160. Lets see some pictures!

I agree Buckslayer, most people will look at a 120-130 deer and claim it is a 150-160. I've closeley examined at lot of racks that have been scored and a 120 rack is quite impressive. I had a 160 7/8 in my hands this weekend and that thing is beyond belief. (by the way that one was found after the season several years ago)

Dunns,

I already shot my 4X4 by that point, otherwise one of the two would have been mine. During years I have a doe tag you have to let them pass by and it does not affect me one bit negatively. It only makes me think more positively about the future of the local deer herd. As a side note to the doubters you can believe what you choose as it makes no difference to me. I am a dedicated hunter and know how to score my deer so if I guess the buck is in a certain range it is very likely he will be when measured. I have always been very close to my approximations after obtaining my game. I also know the area very well and know there are always truly impressive deer in that area especially when looking at the food sources for the area with little hunting pressure. So I can put myself into high success rate areas for a once in a lifetime buck.

While bowhunting in Minnesota I will not shoot a deer with the bow unless I believe he is 150"+. It takes a lot of time and dedication and the decisions on to pass on some very nice bucks. Some have been close to that but I have made the decisions to let them pass and to breed for my future opportunities. One day my patience will pay off with a nice reward and memory of a committed hunt.