• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

honda rubicon vs prairie 700

sparkyaber

I don't want this to turn into a mud throwing thread (pun intended) but I am wondering about these two models. I have the opportunity to purchase either one at about the same price. The honda a brand new '04 and the prairie is an 04 with 30 some miles on it. I will be using the machine mostly for ice fishing with maybe 5 weekends a year trail riding with friends.

I would greatly appricate any input on either machines from anyone. Right now I think I am leaning tward the Honda just because of it's reliability.

Thanks in advance.

I have a 2003 Rubicon. I love it. Took it trailing a lot this past summer. Very fun machine to ride. It is strictly 4 wheel drive. I am going to put the Warn kit in mine soon to be able to switch to 2 wheel drive. When trail riding, kinda fun to be in 2 wheel drive and also better on gas I would think. I used mine a lot ice fishing as well this past winter. It is a little cold blooded, but after you get used to it and keep the choke on for a bit it is fine. Very smooth comfortable ride. Do not know anything about the Prairie. All I can say is that I am happy with my Rubicon wink.gif.

Well, that is why I bought it. I have heard and read that there is very little maintenance with the Hondas. I plan on taking mine to my local dealer once a year and have them do their thing.. A couple months ago I brought it in and was not too spendy and they looked it all over and tuned her up, they also adjusted something they said that needed to be done after the first year or so. I can not remember what they adjusted. Maybe someone else can advise. I am not smart with mechanics blush.gif .... That is why I bought the Honda..

Good Luck

I would run with the prarie 700. I've now seen and done 5 rubicon tranny jobs. They don't come cheap either. The hydralic part of the trans is non rebuildable and has to be replaced as a whole to the tune of 1200 just for parts not including 13 hrs labor to rebuild the motor. There are to many switches and gears to mess with and if you don't have is the right one poof there goes the trans.

I was going to stay out of this one but in the mean time I visited one of the websites for ATV's and I see Kawasaki has released some new models again. There is a 650 brute force, although it doesn't look to be a fully independent setup yet, just a restyled Prairie.

Both my Dad and myself have Prairies, he's got a 700 and I have a 650. Can't complain about too much on them although I don't like my seat when it comes to riding long distances. Dad's is a smoother running engine compared to mine, otherwise they are great machines.

Mike