• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

slugs

bucketmouth64

Would like some info. from you hunters on 20 gauge slugs. What would you recommend for a 16 yr. old. It will be his first time deer hunting in Indiana (I live in MN). He asked for Remington Core-lokt slugs. Reason he asked for these is the fps on them.

I am shooting slugs in the metro this weekend and with a 20 gauge, the best groupings I found were the federal core lokts, next were the classics and third was the winchesters, the rottweiler (sp?) were The core lokts at 50 yards with no brace gave me a four shot grouping of about 2.5 inches, the last one gave me a group of about 6 inches, these were shot in indian squat with my left knee being the brace.

Best Fishes

Chris

Don't only look at the fps. I have tried the winchester partion golds a number times only to be dissapointed in their accuracy in my gun. Yes, they have more power, but if you can't put it on target what good does it do?

I always shot brenikies through my mossberg 20ga with deadly accuracy- killed the last 4 deer shot at right in thier tracks.

Absolutely shoot more than 1 brand. I just got done sighting in my 20 ga. It was expensive, but it's done now and with a cantiliver scope mount or with open sights it's once and done. Just make sure it's still on with a few rounds from year to year.

I started with Winchester Partition Gold which was recommended and the best group was 4-5" at 50 yds. Next try was Winchester BRI - the group was down to 2". Last try was Remington Core Lokt Ultras and 6 rounds - 2 each at 3 different targets were touching. I don't consider myself a great shot but using a good rest I now know what the gun will do. I'd like to try the Federal Barnes Expanders too, but it would be hard to imagine doing better. BTW at 100 yds. I was 1-3" to the right and right on otherwise and the 1-3" difference was likely the shooter! I feel very confident with this gun and the Remingtons to 150 yds.

But I am in no way recommending Remingtons. Another rifled barrel of the same brand with a cantilever scope mount on the same gun might shoot Winchesters, Federals, Brennekes or something else much better.

When considering $11.00 for 5 shells, keep in perspective what all the other expenses of the hunt are, why you're out there and that this happens for a very short time every year. I'll gladly pay $2.20 per shell for the confidence that I'll make a clean kill when the opportunity comes.

Luck after all is nothing more than preparation + opportunity.