• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Painting lures

Scoot

Question

I have a couple of lures I'd like to "paint". Can I just use a black magic marker? It's permanent marker and I think it would hold up well from water. However, I'm concerned the smell might turn away fish-could this be the case? I'll be using it on a couple of muskie lures.
Scoot

2 answers to this question

I paint lures. Doesn't sound like you want to go whole hog and buy an airbrush, compressor, inventory of paints and on and on. Go to wallmart and pick up a small can of acrylic paint. Or a can of spray paint and either mask off your work or make stencils. Use a primer on wood. Use white for your first coat. Put a top coat of Clear acrylic (spray can) when your done. Dont worry about the smell it will go away. We could go one forever on painting lures. I little search on the web and you'll find more then you want to know. Cation: Lure making and painting is addicting.

Okay, don't laugh! Have you ever checked out the colors that fingernail polish comes in? I have used nail polish on many lures that I wanted to customize. The stuff comes in so many colors, heck I just saw colored chrome polish in a center aisle display in wal mart. To cover the polish smell I have used fish attractant scents and or cod liver oil. You can make a thick scent to add to your lures by heating cod liver oil and vasoline. Melt the vasoline and add about 1 part CLO to 8 parts vasoline(just experiment 'til you find out the best mixture.
God lyk?
JC