• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Members Of the Polar Bear Club? Im in.

huskiesplayer15

speaking of early ice jones' who here has been a member of the polar bear club and made the plunge? I have, more times then I want in the first or last 18 years of my life however you look at it. My first was on Big Pine, I was 15, deer hunting weekend, was out walking on it with a spud bar just checking, got about 400 yards out, wacked the ice the spud bar kept going as did my boots, legs, waist chest and neck.

Next one was on Ham Lake, but didnt really fall in, I walked through water to get out to the ice, it was probably 30 yards to the ice and with insulated waders it isnt all that bad, except for the leak in the boot.

The other one was two winters ago, when my little cousin was whacking ice he went through so I hopped/slipped in pushed him out then I got out and we both got real close to the fire that day.

So who else?

Best Fishes

Chris

I was checking the lake so our 4 wheeler and trailer could make it out safetly. walked out a bit and saw a little open water, so I wanted to point it out to the driver. As soon as I took one more step everything started to go in slow motion when I just broke thru and sunk. Luckily I wasn't too far off shore and one of my buddies laid down on the ice with is arm extended and pulled me out. I finally changed clothes with another guy's boots on which were darn warm, but had no traction on the ice. We were all standing around when my bobber sank, I took one quick step and my feet came out from under me. Everything was a blur after that. Just my luck I ended up at the hospital with a concussion to the head. confused.gif

We just cut a hole in the ice and hop in. Of course its a quick run back to the sauna....Fell through one of those voids on really slushy ice once up to my waist. Sled got stuck and I was trying to shimmy it out on to dry stuff. Thought I was going under then my feet hit solid ice three and a half feet down. I managed to get me and it out but one of the coldest rides home I can remember. It hurt so bad to move for a day.

Last Pheasant season. I was out with Mistermom and we were walking a slough, Well I look over and he's gone I can hear his splashing but didn't answer, so I run over to see if he was ok and I go thru. I was so glad when my feet hit solid bottom, I was up to my chest. As tall as Mistermom is he was probably to his waist. I think it was the last hunting weekend in mid Dec. It was quite cold and we had about 3/4 mile back, we were stiff legged froze by the time we got there. Turned out we hit a beaver area. I will stay a little more cautious around any signs of beaver from now on.

Trapping up to my chest step inbeaver run in late Dec.Through ice up to waist when kid over head fishing in Jan.spring got me.Fishtank knockout and seen stars for 2days smirk.gif.Up too knees mores days than I care to remember.Bear ha just like to get frozen.

Check back aways on an eariler post about this subject, lots of us have been through the ice...not a fun thing!

But...since you mentioned Polar Bear Club, I think they have a deal out in Wayzata in January, where alot of people gather and take a quick dip in the lake. I think it takes place January 1st., at the landing by the boat works? I believe that is called the Polar Bear Club also? Anyone know anything about it? Anyone out there ever did it?

I've been meaning to try it, but none of my buds are up for it, or down with it, whatever works for ya? Could'nt get anyone to go on the Rip Cord with me either, had to do it with 2 young ladies from wisc.!

I may have to try it solo this year...have my wife there, for when they read me my last rites, after I jump in the water and they pull me out as blue as a magic marker!

I have joined a few times while trapping beaver. Everytime, it scared the daylights out of me. Most times have just been up to my knees, but one time I hit the main run and was in up to my armpits.

It is amazing how your reflexes cause you in inhale sharply once that water hits your torso. I could have been a goner easily that time.

Cyberfish - Again, great avatar!

Quote:

If you ever want to join the Real Polar Bear Club come up to Duluth and we will give ya a dip in Lake Superior the January. Can you say BREATHLESS?
shocked.gif

I've got a friend that retired last year. He goes up to Superior every year and jumps in, swims out about 100 yards, lets his wife take a pic, and then swims back in. Saw last years pics and I froze just looking at them! He does this with just swim shorts on!

Of course, he also goes camping every winter in the snow for a week.