• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

That was cool,now what?

CASTnBLAST

My five month old Brittany made a beautiful point on a Woodcock and after dropping it in some tall swale grass did a pretty good job of marking it(actually better than I did)and continued to find the bird but would only stand near it and not pick it up even with much encouragement by me.When her sister (also five months) came upon the bird she more or less had the same reaction.Both retreive a small dummy I throw for them with gusto.I've shot grouse but figured maybe the size intimidated them into not picking up the bird.After I picked up the bird they were very excited about it and both were on their hind legs trying to get closer.Earlier I shot another Woodcock that burrowed under a log and my other pup found it and drug it out but didn't want to pick it up after that.I know that some dogs don't care to retreive a Woodcock but I would think a pup's enthusiasm would override whatever scent is unappealing.What should a guy do in this situation,I didn't know if forcing the bird into their mouth would produce a negative effect or not? I realize that a Brittany is not naturally a retreiver but the two Britt's I've had before eventually did a fine job although later in years and I really wanted to work on this part of training with the two new pups.

I just retired my 12 year old Brittany. She would retreive anything except if the water was over her head. Never could get her to swim. Anyhow you need to Force Fetch your dog. There is a lot of information on the web or talk to your breeder or join Navda and ask them for help. Britts are supposed to retreive. Both of mine did.

Mwal

Cast, my 7 month old is going thru the same thing. When I throw the dummy, it's automatic. But when I tie a wing to it, she doesn't do so well. She'll bring back just the wing, but not both. Maybe it's the weight. I hope to stick with it becuz my last Britt was a machine for retrieving. What general vacinity did you get into those stinky birds...that's exactly what I need. Thanks.

I've been hunting north of Wadena/Sebeka area for grouse but have been coming across Woodcock every time out.Unfortunately they will likely be long gone by the time it's safe to go back out in the woods after rifle season frown.gif Not sure where these pups bloodlines originate from but they are Americans now,if I knew they were French I'd never be able to trust them again wink.gif

I've got a Brittany pup and he is great regarding retrieving dead birds. From what I have read, heard, experienced and learned over the past few years is that both the American and French Brittany breed of dogs are not natural retrievers. Their nose and pointing instincts come naturally but retrieving is something that can be hit or miss depending on bloodlines. They are classified as excellent retrievers...not natural.

My pup comes from a strong line of NSTRA champions. Retrieving is extremely important if a pointing dog is to score well in field trial competitions like NSTRA events. You would expect pups from those proven lines to be a little easier and more consistant regarding retrieving birds.

Can't give you any advice regarding your situation. All I can do is suggest that you work with your pups in the yard with a ball or something they really like. Work each pup individually and make the whole thing as much fun as you can. My past experience is that females catch on a lot faster than males. Have the pup come, sit and stay. Toss the ball or dummy or toy then release and command fetch. I would bet ten bucks the pup takes off like white lightning. Once they get to the ball/toy give the come command. They don't have to bring the toy to hand...just close. Lots of praise, petting and treat. Do this until they start to look bored. Keep it fun, short, simple and consistent. Brittanys are smart and it won't take long for them to connect the dots and turn this little game into a routine that will make you proud in the field for years to come.

When a bird has been creamed close range in the field and it's guts are exposed my dog is hesitent to retreive (probably does not like or appreciates the strong odor or taste all that much). I also noticed that when the weather is really warm and he is hot he will be hesitant to retrieve. Can't blame him for either of those situations. Just keep in mind that they are just pups...they will come around. A great trick to use in the field when your pup does not want to pick up the dead bird and fetch/retrieve is to just turn around and start walking away. The pup will look at the bird, then look at you, then back at the bird and decide that he/she had better pick the thing up and carry it to you before it's to late - game over. Not sure if force a Brittany to fetch is such a good idea...I know for a fact they are a soft breed of dog and respond better to clear, consistant and positive reinforcement...maybe some other Brittany owner/trainer can help out here! Sorry for the long winded reply!

Willie,I'll try the walk away method next time I can get out.Unfortunately that's 3 weeks away with the firearms season going on what a bummer,may be 3 weeks after that I finally hit something (: They do retreive well with a piece of rope and garden hose toy I made them,perhaps if the walk away doesn't work I'll try tossing the bird for them a few times.I agree that force training may not be a proper method with the Britt's.I once made the mistake of swatting my last Britt for repeatedly tearing up the garbage,he never completely forgave/forgot/trusted me after that,it'll never happen again.Also,he still tore up the garbage.

I forgot to mention to you that I got my pup when he was five months old...not sure if that means anything or not. Don't let deer season stop you from working the pups. I found a guy in the back of the MN Outdoor News in Shakopee that sells Chukars for $5 each. Last year during Deer season I would buy some Chukars make them real dizzy and planted them for my pup at a private farm where I knew there wasn't any deer hunting allowed. I tied blaze orange ribbon on the tall grass where each bird was planted and would work my pup on a check cord to the birds. Not much of a challenge but it was fun and I think the repetition of scenting, pointing, being steady, flush, shot and fetch on each bird really helped with his development.