• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bowhunting after gun season has started?

BLACKJACK

In the past I've always given bowhunting up for a few weeks after the gun season started, or if I do go out its sporadic. Now this year I'm thinking of taking a couple of days off next week, later in the week, after the deer have settled down from the weekend of trauma (I'm in zone 4, so its only Sat and Sun that they deer get rousted around).

Have any of you had much luck or spent much time bowhunting after gun season has started?

I'd consider all of November as primetime. Any time you can get out, your chances for a big buck are better during this time than any other with the rut going strong (in my opinion)... It may take a few days for the woods to settle, depending on the pressure.. You can also bowhunt during gun season, you may see some increased deer activity with deer drives, etc.

The years that I still have tags available I bowhunt just as much after the gun season than before. It gets harder to harvest a deer, even harder to harvest a mature deer as they will probably be nocturnal. But remember the second rut is 28 days after the first, so bucks will be on the move again looking for does which have not been bred. I love the late season, hunt food sources strictly, especially standing corn if you can find it. When the weather is cold deer have to eat more. I have had luck hunting on travel routes to feeding areas. My buddy shot a 140" 10 two years ago around the second week of December, and that night we both saw a deer in the same area checking out does in a soybean field that was absolutely huge, probably 160" +, with several smaller bucks around as well. I hunt 4B and on and even on the last day, I have had deer walk by me that were within bow range, so I would say, hunt as much as you can, you never know when it will happen.

I'll admit that I actually do more bowhunting after the gun season than before. I get fired up at this time of year with a little snow on the ground and the deer starting to transition into feeding. I have seen my largest bucks right around Thanksgiving time(second rut) as they are starting to congregate around bedding areas and food sources and the bucks are thinking about food and sex!!! This is my favorite time to hunt. I will find that deer will become more nocturnal initially after gun season but remember they are still rutting and if they scent a doe in estrous you can be sure he will be on the trail even if it is in the middle of the day. I have best luck initially after gun season near doe bedding areas as the bucks will hang around their bedding areas or close by with good vantage points. I heavily hunt sloughs with lots of cattails around them. I will specifically look for areas, even small areas, of higher ground surrounded by water but still contains cattails. This is where I will generally find the larger bucks after being pushed around during gun season. Most hunters don't want to be waist high in water and mud to kick them out of their "safe zones."

That's the beauty of the All Season License .

You are able to enjoy each season with what ever weapon you choose and if need be, end the season the way you started Archery.

I've shot a couple deer with my bow during the rifle season. I love to rub that in my rifle hunting buddies noses. LOL We hunt 120 acres north of Grand Rapids and there's private and county land around our property. The area gets a fair amount of hutning pressure. What I look for during this time is thick cover, close to deer bedding areas. If there's some buck sign in there, either rubs or scrapes, so much the better. As far as time to go, whenever you can.

Brian

Me and my dad have had great luck seeing many deer during the first gun hunting season down on my uncles land(zumbrota falls area)while bowhunting. The deer are going to be in the rut, and deer will be moving with all of the gun hunters. Also I have had good luck down there during the late season. Last year I got a deer on Dec. 31st-the last day of the season.

-Bob