• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Heater recommendations

Lost

I realize this has probably been covered recently but I'm too lazy to do a search.

I'm wondering if anybody has any recommendations for a portable heater for use in my portable shelter.

The lower the price, the better.

The Mr Heater Cooker is always a good choice. Pretty reasonoablly priced and it runs off of 1 pound propane tanks. It will heat most portables just fine and it can be thrown around without worrying about breaking it. It also cooks food smile.gif

Good Fishin,

Matt Johnson

Depending on how much room your heating and how much heat you need is where you need to start. If you have a smaller portable and are looking to strip down to your skibbies grin.gif than the mister heater cooker is the one. If you need minimal heat and want to take up little room, I run a small single burner by Coleman. This unit is about 20 bucks and has several heat settings and runs a long time on a 1 lb tank. I have heard a lot of good things about the Mister heater buddies and now there is a Big buddy for even more heat.

Good Luck and stay warm

Corey Bechtold

I have 2 heaters I like for different situations.

The main one I use is a small Paulin that puts out less heat, but lasts for 8 hrs plus on a 1 lb. It is very durable, cheap and small. It has held up better that the Mr. Heater Jr. I used to have.

For colder days or when I want to make food I recommend the heater cooker style. I can only use mine for short periods of time as it gets too hot in my small otter. The heater cooker will only run for 2 or 3 hours on a one pound propane. Not as durable as the little Paulin but a neccesity on cold, windy days

Lost,

The heater question is sort of a tough question, but I feel there are easier answers than some of the other tough questions that come up.

A couple questions to ask yourself, or let us know, is how big your house is and what kind of outside temperature range you typically fish in. One other relevant question would be your budget. How much do you want to spend on a heater.

If budget is a concern, I'd just pick up a 20lb propane tank and a regular Mr. Heater sunflower heater. That would basically be your low budget, everyday, heater set-up. Depending on how much you pick up a propane tank for, I'd say the total will be around $70. A heater like this will also keep most houses comfortable down to negative something - moderate wind chill days.

Very similar in heat output would be the Heater Cooker like MJ mentioned. Additional cost would include the hose to hook the heater up to the tank. A little more money, equal heat output, and a little more versatile. A very good choice for a heater!

My other experience is with the Mr. Heater Buddy, another great heater but the heat output is definitely not up there with the regular Mr. Heater & the Heater Cooker. I like the Heater Buddy for my one man portable on the cooler to warmer days if that makes sense. When it starts getting close to 0, it doesn't stand a chance to keep the house at my comfort level.

I use the Mr. Heater cooker and like it. You can always turn it down or off if you are to hot, but if your heater doesn't put out enough heat to keep you warm you are kind of out of luck. I can't say that I have ever had to run mine on high for very long without turning it down. I fish out of a Fishtrap Guide.

Just my opinion

arbuck

I use the portable buddie (Mr. Heater) mh9bwhite.jpg with a ten pound tank and a five foot hose. This allows me to put the tank outside, and have just the heater inside. Frees up a bit of room, and the ten pound tank is a bit less cumbersome to haul around. I usually have a 1 pd tank for backup purposes. Prior to that, I had the 'ol sunflower heater on a twenty pound tank. Although the Mr Heater doesn't throw off nearly the same amount of BTU's, it's fume free, and cool to the touch everywhere except of course the front.

The Mr. Heater will only heat a two man house comfortably. I tried it once in a four man, and while it did ok during the day, it could not keep up once the sun went down.

The old coleman focus 5 is what I really like in a 1 man flip over. These are the same units that dave genz and tony dean use. They put out 5,000btu and are very lightweight and portable. They were taken off the market because of CO poisoning in enclosed areas. They do work great in icehouses. They are on hsolist all the time and go for up to $100 but during the summer for about $40. The Mr. heater cooker is a great unit, I like to use mine with a hose so the tank is on the outside of the house in my larger 3 man portable. They really put out the heat.

I use the MR. Heater Cooker. It puts out all the heat that you would ever need and if you get the urge to warm up some soup or fry something you can flip it on its back and do your cooking. These don't have a sensor of any kind for the CO poisoning, so be sure to open a door or a window a little. I think I picked mine up for around $40 and parts are very easy to find. I have the hose and 20 pound tank, but also use it with the 1 pounders.

I use the Mr.Heater cooker because it is light weight and not bulky to carry around. If I'm super portable, I can add 1-2lb. propane tanks and I'm lite! IF I'm on longer trips, I add a 10Lb tank.

Though I do like the New BUDDY Heater because of it's ability to pump out more BTU's than the old Buddy heater.

I have a Mr. Heater Cooker with about a 5-6 ft hose that runs outside of my portable to a five pound tank.

I love it. It still has the heat of a Mr. Heater, having the hose makes more room for inside the portable, and having the five pound tank eliminates the process of continuously buying the "disposables". So it’s more economically and environmentally friendly.

You will want to use a hose if you use a larger tank of propane. Yes for extra space but also for safety. I know a guy who had a 20lb. cylinder with a Mr. Heater cooker attatched to it in his portable. If the tank has been in the cold and is heated up too fast in the shelter the pressure relief valve will open and fill your fish house full of propane. Not a good scene... this guy was burned but is ok. Could have been worse though.

I got the Coleman blackcat heater 2 Christmas's ago, and boy is it worthless. I imagine they are only good for the smallest Fish Trap, and even then, only on warm days. Whenever I've used it, the only time you can even feel any heat is when it's so warm out, you could just put on an extra layer of clothes and go with no heater. I've gone with the Sunflower. Always had it on top of a 20#, but just bought the 4 1/2 pounder this week. I may have to fill it up a few times more than I like, but I will LOVE the extra room, and weight savings. Never tried the hose to a heater/cooker, but I hear good things.

I've had my mister heater/cooker for 19 years now. I use a 6 foot hose and a 20 lb tank.I love it.Works great in my 8X8 and in my protable.I've even used it to melt down lead to make jigs. just found a real small cast iron skillet to melt the lead.

Heaters! Ah the need for a good heater. There are many house/outdoor heaters, but as an ice fisherman you want an outdoor/commercial heater. One that is silent, efficent and will not create a rain storm in your house.

Heat Plus or Heat Process a company out of Angora, MN would be a good choice. The guy makes commercial heaters for all kinds of industry needs. I know Thorne's, Reed's, L&M Supply, Marine General carry them. Mine is two years old and works great.

Just my thoughts.

5 years ago I put a 15K btu Empire furnace in the 6.5x12 fish house used two seasons every day non stop worked perfect. 3 years ago put a Suburban 30K btu furnace in the 8x16 camper and it drains a fully charged deep cycle battery in about an hour and a half, have to run a generator to stay worm. Putting a Perfection Shwank 20K btu forced air furnace into the 10.5x16 ft LOW fish house, which doesn't run off of electricity.