• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Iowa Pheasants

Anybody hunt Iowa pheasants on the opener? We hunted south of Spencer on mostly public land and averaged a bird a guy (9 guys) in some pretty nasty weather on Saturday and 1.5 birds per guy on Sunday in gorgeous weather. Most of the corn is still standing in the fields which made it tough. There seemed to be a fair amount of hunters out despite the poor weather on the opener.

good to hear there is some one else posting in corn country. three of us got four on sat in the WIND it was horrible we hunted only private land around clear lake, masson city area. on sunday i couldn't go but my dad and two guys got their limit, but said they were very lucky. I like all of the corn standing it means all of the opening day only people didn't get a whole lot. we're die hards and hunt till it is closed almost every weekend. the best month is usually december and then there is knowbody else around. i will post how we do after this weekend.

That wind was wicked Saturday. We saw plenty of birds but they were flushing very far out ahead. My lab worked well. I didn't fire a shot but got one bird. The pup was working picked corn, got real birdy and brought me a dead rooster someone in an adjacent field must have shot. This was about 8:45 a.m. and the bird was plenty warm. It will go in the pot shortly. Only hunted the morning 'cause the Hawkeyes were on - I must be getting old. You are right on about the opening weekend. Only the diehards will be out now and I think there are lots of good days ahead.

Hey guys, I hunt in SE Iowa and am heading down on the 18th for a week. I heard there are a lot of birds. We don't have much pressure down there but those late November Roosters are pretty smart! The reason we go there (Wapelo Area) is we have a ton of ground to hunt and like I said above no one hardly hunts around there. Can't wait.

My son and I hunted both days and came one short of a two day limit. Saturday we had four in the first hour then the wind started cooking. Worked at it another two hours and were done. Sunday got out at 11 or so what a nice day! A little too nice the birds were in the corn big time.Shot five all over hard points."There is only one thing better than a German Shorthair on point...........thats two German Shorthairs on point"!

Just back from another couple days in NE Iowa chasing pheasants. (Gotta chase MN deer now!!) Three guys ended up with 16 roosters, 2 mallards and 2 Hungarian partridge. Man was it windy again. The last couple hours of the day saved us. It was tough during the middle of the day. There is still tons of standing corn. We even saw a few large fields of beans. Fields are still muddy despite the wind.

All our hunting was done on public land near Spencer.

Good luck.

It is good to see that there are some birds around. We hunted the opener on mostly private, and picked ground, and only put 2 birds in the bag on Sat. and nothing on Sun. It was the worst opener we have ever had. We hunted N.E. Ia. around Cresco.