• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

hard to start merc 30hp

Question

I have a 91 30 hp merc tiller - maunal start. It starts easy when cold, but if I run it for 30+ minutes then shut it off for any length of time it is very difficult to start. It acts like it is flooded, but I don't think it is. I choke it and finally it will start after many pulls (not fun). It has had no more than 40 hours of use since new. Plugs are new. Fuel is fresh and mixed properly.

Any help would be appreciated

1 answer to this question

next time that happens, depending if it has the automatic gearshift integrated into the throttle.
take off the cover, on the left hand side of the carb (when facing it) there will be a lever that actuates the throttle plate, hold it open if you can while pulling the start (you might need two people) if it fires right away, it could be too rich or flooding. but if your choking it to start it that means it needs more fuel, to check that use a squirt bottle and give a small shot of fuel into the carb openimg.

I used to have a drag car that didnt have a choke so to get her started we always used the squirt bottle.

Either way youll probably have to stick a carb kit into it.