• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HOW do you icefish?

Slyster

We- me and kids (3 and 5)- got our first small boat/motor this summer and we fished a LOT this summer.. and we had a great time!...with the boat stored now.. I am already missing fishing and all that goes with it.. so I have a simple question.. and it seems no one has asked this since most have previous experience.

My question is...

"HOW DO YOU ICE FISH?"

- Drill a hole using an auger.. I know that.. where do you buy one? What size for a newbie?

- Use only live bait? (you can't cast)

- Use a regular rod and reel?

- Is fishing success better or worse than summer? (I would guess fishing is not as good as summer with the cold temps and lower fish activity levels)

- Any use for electronics? (I have an LCD depth finder)

- Are some of those ice houses I've noticed in past years for rent? Or are they only privately owned?

- Do most just sit on a pail or use ice houses?

- Any laws different than summer laws?

Thanks so much.. I really want to try this but haven't ever yet in my 40 years!

Sly, welcome to the wonderful world of ice fishing! That's a lot of questions for one post but we'll get you going in the right direction. First off, what are you fishing for? Eyes and pannies? With the little one's on the ice I'd start out with a small hand auger. 6" will do ya for now. If (when) you get hooked, you'll be buying a power auger. As far as which one....there's tons of opinions here on the site regarding that.

You're not limited to live bait at all. There's tons of jigging spoons and smaller jigs as well as plastics out there for winter use. Live bait works well though.

I'm sure you've seen the icefishing combos at the fleetfarm or sporting goods stores. Again, don't break the bank. There's lots of affordable stuff out there.

Success??? Personally I do better in the winter but that's mostly because of the fish I target.

YES ELECTRONICS! One of the most important tools of the trade.

There are lots of places to rent shacks on the bigger lakes. With little kids in tow, the warmth of a shack can be really convenient if you know what I mean. On the warmer days I love to just sit out on the ice and fish. I don't sit on the bucket much any more and use the lightweight camping chairs. On the colder days, I move inside to the portable or my big shack at homebase.

Always check the regulations for each lake you fish and slots/limits for each species. Some lakes can be pretty specific.

I know these answers are pretty brief but if you look through the archives here you'll find tons of info on each of your specific questions. Never hesitate to post here as many people here love to help out whenever they can. I hope you enjoy your first trips and thanks for taking the kids fishing. Be careful and have alot of fun.

Slyster

If you ever get down to Rochester check out Foster Arends. It's a public park that has an old gravel pit. The pit is stocked with trout. Lots and lots of trout. Its very easily to get to and with a 3 and 5 year old it alos is a nice place to go because their is some nice sliding hills that surround the pond. And if you want I'd be glad to take your whole family out. Just give me an e-mail. DT at vikingolds dot com.I'm sure once you try it you will wonder why you haven't done it sooner.

One thing I might add is with smaller kids stick to a smaller diameter auger say a 6 or 7 inch because invariably one or both are going to stick there foot down the hole always have a dry set of boots mittens, snowpants along or the trip may be short and this from someone who has been there and done that

I'll tell you what, when we get some safe ice post on here again. You'll be surprised at how many offers you get to go with someone. Ive been out on the ice and had people come out just to see what I'm doing. That will be your best bet on seeing what you need. Also with two kids if you buy a portable I suggest you look at the suitcase style. Good luck, Kid

We had the same situation over 30 years ago when i was 12.

My Dad and my buddies Dad bought a small spoon type auger and we bought some sticks with line wrapped around some pegs. Fished out of my friends station wagon or my Dad's van with a Coleman lantern. Lots of ice skimming but we were young and didn't care. smile.gif Thermos of hot chocolate, some willing crappies and we were in heaven! Times and equipment have definitely changed but those were some of the best times I can remember. I think it was just being with Dad and friends that made it that way. When my kids were small I found out that taking a sled along was a great tool. My kids had a short attention span when it came to fishing and a lot of trips turned into sledding adventures! Also invest in a floating slush scoop or be prepared to buy a few. smirk.gif

Thanks for the tips! Anyone care to answer some of my Q's posted above? Yeah.. I think the best way to learn would be to join up with a veteran and just DO IT. I will post again...

btw.. when is the ice generally considered safe? Is there a typical date?

Quote:

- Drill a hole using an auger.. I know that.. where do you buy one? What size for a newbie?

-I think a 6" hand auger or a 8" power auger will suit most needs. Most sporting goood stores carry them.. just shop around.

Quote:

- Use only live bait? (you can't cast)

Acually no, small plastics can be very effective duing the frozen months. However live bait is always a very good option! Expecially for new ice anglers.

Quote:

- Use a regular rod and reel?

Half right. You can use your regular reels, but I would suggest using Ice fishing rods. They are much shorter so you dont have to sit so far away from the hole...Smaller reels are nicer too, but not neccisary like a shorter rod.

Quote:

- Is fishing success better or worse than summer? (I would guess fishing is not as good as summer with the cold temps and lower fish activity levels)

For most species fishing can not only be as good but better during ice fishing season. Pike and Crappie, bluegills and walleye are all often caught during the ice season. Bass are caught in fewer numbers but still can be caught. Some species like the eel pout are usually ONLY caught during the winter months...

Quote:

Any use for electronics? (I have an LCD depth finder)

YES, a depthfinder can not only tell you the depth but can tell you if there are fish and how deep the fish are located. A flasher works better for this, but an LCD will work as long as its not TOO cold...

Quote:

Are some of those ice houses I've noticed in past years for rent? Or are they only privately owned?

I would say that 99% of the houses you see are private... on some of the larger bodys of water like Mille Lacs and Lake of the woods there are quite a few houses for rent. Contact local resorts for information on how to rent one of these houses. As a newbie this is an Excelent option, they will have the houses in fish catching spots, supply bait, drill your holes, heat the house, and supply rods and reels if needed...

Quote:

Do most just sit on a pail or use ice houses?

Yes, if the weather allowes I will often just use a pail to stay mobile. I usually pull my house around anyway just to carry all my stuff.. then if I get cold I can set it up.

Quote:

- Any laws different than summer laws?

All the posestion limmits are the same, and most laws are the same as well, the only natable difference is, During the ice fishing season you are allowed 2 lines in the water per licenced angler. in the summer you are only allowed one line in the water. So for ice fishing you can either have 2 rods in the water or one rod and a tip-up or 2 tip-ups...

hope this helps...

You came to the right place for advice on ice fishing as there are many knowledgable people on this forum.

You can buy gear at most sporting good stores. I see you live in Maplewood. I would go to FF in Oakdale and buy your gear. Get a 6 or 7 inch lazer hand auger - a fine hand auger for about $60 or so.

Bait - panfish you want some kind of small wax worm or maggot. Otherwise crappie or other small minnows for walleyes or northerns.

Ice rods are much shorter than open water models. I like a longer ice rod, so I use 28" St. Croix Premiere (medium light or light). An excellent moderately priced rod (around $15). You could use your open water reels, but they might not fit in ice poles. Gander Mountain usually sells their own brand of ice reels for about 12 bucks or so. I have been very happy with them.

Ice fishing is like regular fishing - can be great, can be very slow. Generally first and last ice are the best, but you can find fish to bite all winter long if you are determined enough.

Electronics are an important part of ice fishing - I use a vexilar FL-18 flasher. There is a great deal of debate on this site about flashers so go ahead and research that on your own, but a flasher is invaluable for success on the ice.

Alot of the ice houses are personally owned, however most larger lakes have houses to rent. Most people use shelters just for the comfort, as it extends the time you can be out on the ice without freezing.

Laws are much the same, but you can ice fish with two lines instead of one in summer. I would check the regs for any other differences.

Ice is never safe, but starting out I would not be the first one to venture out on the lake. Just wait for others and drill holes as you go out and check the thickness. I like about four inches of ice. Generally around the cities I try to get out on the ice around the second week in December. Obviously this is subject to mother nature.

Quote:

4" of ice is considered safe for walking on. I would say usually by mid december we have 4" of ice... Of coarse the further you go north the earlier that is...By thanksgiving they are usually on Lake of the Woods i believe?

I live in Ma. on the east coast. I don't use a shelter cause it's not that cold here. The main thing with ice fishin is MAKE SURE THE ICE IS SAFE!!! I use a model 30 Jiffy gas auger that I bought over 25 years ago. Hand augers are a lot of work when the ice gets thick like it does out where you live. I use live shinners (minnows) with Tip Ups. Tip ups are usualy made from three pieces of wood with a spool and linkage with a flag that pops up when you get a strike. Out here we can use five tip ups per person. Nice easy fishin! Just setup your tip ups and kick back and wait for the flags to pop! I agree with the other posts about trying to join up with someone who knows where to go and how to do it. That's how I got started. I try for Largemouth Bass, Black Crappie, Yellow Perch, Chain Pickrel and whatever else is in the ponds I fish...Good luck!

Quote:

Quote:

4" of ice is considered safe for walking on. I would say usually by mid december we have 4" of ice... Of coarse the further you go north the earlier that is...By thanksgiving they are usually on Lake of the Woods i believe?

--------------------------------------------------

4" may be considered safe to Minnesotans who are eager to get out fishing. I would not encourage a new ice fisherman and his young children to venture out on 4 inches thinking it's completely safe.....There are certainly many circumstances that make 4" ice unsafe.

I use the "common sense" method to determine what is "safe" ice........

1. Don't be the only guy or group on the lake when there's any doubt that the ice is less than 8 inches.(Someone better be able to hear me scream like a girl when I go through)

2. Pick a well fished, well populated lake that is unlikely to hold surprises like springs, weak ice locations, etc....

I would highly recommend hiring a guide for your first trip or spend a good deal of time learning by yourself what is safe before bringing a family out there with you. Go by yourself to some well fished lakes and walk around and watch and learn... Ask questions about techniques and equipment and figure out what you think you might like before going out and buying a bunch of stuff. A great way to start would be to come to one of the Ice Series events. Lots of great information could be had from the guys at these events.

Slyster stay tuned to the Metro board. we will be having a few get togethers. If you make it there, I have enough equipment to set you up for the day. You could learn alot and meet some other local guys. All are welcome! Sometime from the start to mid December is my guess for the first event.

Great info! I will keep watching the boards.

Hey.. one more Q. Since you make a hole you can't move.. Do fish hang out differently in winter? No weedlines obviously. I am, of course, used to fishing a whole lake not just a 6" circle of lake. smile.gif Do they hang out in the middle/deepest point? (Warmer maybe?).. or how do you know where to dig.

By all means slyster, dont think that you have to stay at one hole.. There is no rule to the number of holes that you can drill. There is not a hole drilling poice or a hole drilling limmit... Its only limmeted by how much energy you have. On any given day I probably drill more than 20 holes. And thats a light day!

And you would also be surprised.. many lakes still have weedlines at ice up all the way into early january.

Thanks all! Between this post, and future posts.. and Gander... I am all set for trying ice fishing for the first time this winter.

I purposely named this post "HOW do you icefish" so people in the future searching these forums could find this post...

Great info here... I can't wait to try ice fishing out... you know what sucks..? Around 2 years ago I sold an ice auger at our last garage sale for $10.00 because I didn't think I would EVER use it.. got it from a friend who moved south... and since I had never fished before- even in summer- I thought "what the heck would I use this for?".. and now that we have really gotten into fishing we are really going to regret that!... Now we have to go buy a new one! frown.gif

Slyster, Are you sure you need another bad habit? wink.gif Hey, just a thought. I put on a "Beginners" clinic every other year down here. I'd bet someone up there does also. Nice thing about this is that you can check out everything from a string and safety pin to the latest in electronics and kind of see how deep you want to jump in. I hold these where I know the kids can catch a bunch of fish. Don't know if you have county conservation boards up there but that might be a good place to check.

Otherwise, definitely line up a trip with someone experienced. It will save you untold time, money and frustration.

I always say, "I may not be able to hold off the anti-hunting crowd but give me a bunch of kids and a half-hour on a bluegill pond and I'll defuse the anti-fishing movement for life."