• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Upland gun?

So whats everyones favorite gun for upland birds? mine would be a split between my remington 1100 16ga and my 1100 20ga. i shot my first bird with the 20 but the 16 is so quick and has the extra punch that a 20 doesnt. i just like the 16 because its kind of an odd gun but perfectly suited to pheasents.

I've been thinking about purchasing a 391 20 gauge for grouse (I like the fact that they are light). A buddy of mine has the 390 are there any major changes between the 2 other than they were manufactured different years?

I'm very fond of my Browning Gold with the 26" barrel. I've got a 12, but I think the 20 would be a great gun as well. They've really skyrocketed in price the last couple of years though. The 28" barrel would be fine if you were primarily waterfowling and not carrying the gun much...a bit top heavy.

NWBuck

Had a super black eagle that I loved but it kept jamming,even after several trips to the gunsmith. Traded it off and got the new Benelli M2. Have only shot some clays with it but really seems to be a sweet gun,very light and almost no recoil. With 26" barrel it should be fast also. It was kind of hard to switch from a wood stock to a composite one,guess I wont have to worry about nicks and scratches any more.

For the last 8 years or so I have been using my Browning Gold 12 Gauge...great gun. Very reliable and a great shooter, but I wanted to get something a little smaller and lighter. Just bought a new Stoeger Condor Supreme 20 Ga. O/U with a 26" barrel. Sweet little gun...lightwieght, comes up easy and a heck of a lot of fun to shoot. Here's the kicker...really nice quality, and cost less than $500!!!

As far as the AL391 goes I am pretty sure you can take the plug out to get a 4 shell in the gun. I have a A390 and the plug is really tricky and it's not like taking a plug out of a Remington or something like that. There is a little pin that you have to push in and then you can twist the top piece off with a screw driver to get at the plug. But be careful because the spring inside will come flying out if you aren't careful.

Actually I agree wiht riverrat56 in the 1st post. I used to borrw a 16 gauge and still think that is the right size gun for pheasants and grouse. This was just a plain old side by side dbl brl, but it had enough punch but not too much. Just my opinion I guess.

DD

Always used a BPS 12 gauge, till this year. Then bought a Spartan 12 O/U. Great little gun, is a Bakial imported by remington. Then, just last weekend bought a stoeger condor supreme 20, which will be a great grouse gun. Really light and fast, i am anxious to see how she shoots.

Yes you can take the plug out of the 391 and it will hold four shells. Remove the barrel and you have access to the shell tube. At the end of the shell tube is a little pin the you need to push in before you unscrew the end. Be careful as you get to the end the spring inside the tube will pop out easy to do and replace.

My bird gun right now is a BPS with a 22" barrell. The shorter barrell makes a lot of difference when swinging it towards a bird. And a lot lighter too. I want to get a over/under, just undecided on which one to get. Leaning towards the Citroi. Any suggestions?

For upland game I switch between my Browning A-5 (Belgum made) and my Winchester 101 O/U. both are 12 ga. My grandparents got me my A-5 as a high school graduation gift in 1965 and I bought my 101 in 1973. Do you think I due for a new gun?

Quick question....how many shells can you have loaded in you gun when hunting for pheasants??? Being orginally from ND, I always assumed it was three, but a co-worker said there is no such law in MN. Only for waterfowl.

Browning BPS Upland in 20 ga. It is the sweetest handling gun I own. With an english stock and a 23 inch barrel it is the perfect grouse gun and when walking all day for pheasants, the light weight is a blessing. I do switch to a 12 ga for late season pheasants and my kids grab my BPS when we go together. The 3" load in the 20 ga is almost the exact load as a heavy 2 3/4" 12 ga load. I would have to agree with some of the previous posts that a 16 would be sweet, I don't have one of those ... hhmmm

You can have as many shells as u want loaded in minnesota for pheasents, and you can use lead shot exceptions would be on public land near a waterfowling area i think its within 100 yards of water you must have your gun plugged and use steel but dont quote me on that one.