• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good Books....

LuciandTim

Anything by Pat McManus. I've read almost all of his books, and some of them 2 or 3 times. You have to have a somewhat "unique" sense of humor to really appreciate them; but if you do, they are wonderful.

Along the lines of "The Hungry Ocean"...

Back when I was a commercial fisherman, one of my favorite reads(shouldn't have read it before my first job as a crewmember shocked.gif)was a book by Spike Walker. "Working on the Edge:Surviving in the world's most dangerous profession:King Crab Fishing on Alaska's High Seas" is a great adventure read. True accounts/descriptions of what it is like to work this dangerous profession. What's especially interesting is that Mr. Walker was a fisherman when the "big boom" was going on in the late 70's to mid 80's. "Back in the day", a deckhand fishing King Crab in the Bering Sea could make $100,000 in a few months if he/she had a good skipper. Of course, one could also die.

There's always a catch.

I love this book.

Love McManus-have all his books. For other authors, try some of Robert Ruark's books. He was a contemporary of Hemmingway but is a better read in my opinion. I would start with "The Old Man and the Boy". It's about a boy growing up around his grandfather and the entire focus is on the hunting and fishing experiences as he grew up. He was a major novelist and all of his novels involve hunting and fishing as a major part of the main charachters. His books on Africa, are in my opinion, the best ever written. Try Uhruru or Something of Value. You will not want to put them down.

Any of the books by Krakauer are must reads as far as I am concerned. "Into the Wild" is definitely a great book. The man really does some good work, "Into Thin Air" and "Under the Banner of Heaven" are also excellent. Peter Jenkins is also one of my favorite authors. A particular favorite on mine that he wrote is "Looking for Alaska" along with "A Walk Across America" and " Along the Edge of America". Great books. Both authors have multiple publications and I have read them all and have yet to be dissapointed.

Ice, good idea. (From never cry wolf)

Better yet, why don't you write the first the page or paragraph and post it, and everyone can add a paragraph two?

Krakauer's "Into Thin Air" is definitely a good read. Its been about 4 years since I read that one. I was backpacking through Europe and stumbled into a mountaineering shop and it was one of the only books in English so I picked it up. You have lots of time to read when traveling by train. Also read a bunch of John Grisham books, Silence of the Lambs, and Red Dragon. Like I said, not much for English selections in some of the countries but you take what you can get.

The Big Sky is a great book. I haven't read that since I was in jr. high. Also The River Why, mentioned in this post and in another I was participating in a few months ago-by Harmonica Bear I beleive.

Undaunted Courage. Winterdance by Gary Paulsen, and for kids, Hatchet by Paulsen. Grouse and lesser gods by Lundrigan.

My favorite: Distant Fires by Scott Anderson. Anderson and his buddy reprise the Severied and Port (Canoeing with the Cree) trip to Hudson Bay by canoe, but they start in Duluth and paddle up the North Shore. I read it out loud to my kids on our BWCA trip this year. Youth, brook trout, wind, waves, mud, bugs, gruel, adventure. You carry with you, through life, every campfire you've ever sat around, and you're always paddling toward the next.

Alone in the Wilderness - a recounting of Richard Proennekes time in the wilderness of Alaska. He moved to a remote region in Alaska - built his own cabin with simple tools and tells of his adventures and times. Quick read - a few beautiful pictures as well of his cabin, the area etc..

Hiya,

Lots of great recommendations...

Another one I can't believe I didn't mention is the story of Edgar Christian. Mentinos of "Into Thin Air" and the Shakelton expedition reminded me of it. It's been published under a couple different titles. One is "Unflinching", but the one I was able to find on Amazon is "Cold Burial." You may be able to find "Unflinching" in a used bookstore or online someplace, but I get the feeling that edition's on the rare side. I don't know how much the two editions differ...

At any rate, in 1926, Jack Hornby, a Canadian adventurer, explorer and general roustabout took two companions into the Barren Lands of the Northwest Territories. One of the party members was his 18 year old cousin, Edgar Christian. The idea was they'd live there for the year, living off the land. They were counting heavily on the caribou migration. The caribou never came. Two years later, a patrol of Mounties found their frozen bodies in the cabin they'd built. On the table was a note that said "look in stove." In the stove bound in a piece of hide was Edgar Christian's diary of the expedition, maintained until shortly before he succumbed to starvation...

It's a pretty chilling read, but fascinating as well. If you've ever regretted not being around back then when a guy could go live off the land for a while and explore, this will probably cure it. Great book...

Someone also mentioned Haig-Brown. Can't believe I let that one slip by. The term "Master" was invented for guys like him...

Cheers,

RK

I read a few good books last winter.

Poachers Caught. Tom Chapin

Good stories about poaching from a former CO. Very interesting, and chapters go real quick.

First Light on the Water by Al and Ron Lindner.

Another quick read, has a religious theme to it and how religion made a difference in their lives. Discusses Ron's fight with alcohol and how it effected his life.

Finally, my favorite.

North with Doc. By Greg Knowles.

He writes a column in the back of In Fisherman, or did and these are some of the best, little longer stories. Each one is a fishing trip, and it was one of the best, funny books I have read in a long time. Male bonding fishing book.

Perich books are good too. I am looking for the Joe Fellegy book on Mille Lacs but it is out of print.

This is a great topic.

Here are two more suggestions:

In the Land of White Death by Valerian Albanov

In the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel Philbrick

The first is the diary of the navigator of an ill fated 1914 Russian polar expedition and his trek back to civilization. The second is a historical account of the fate of the crew of a whaling vessel (the Essex) who have to abandon ship after a whale attack.

Quote:

"The Hungry Ocean" by Linda Greenlaw. Greenlaw was the captain of the 'Hanna Boden' the sister ship of the Andrea Gail, which was the ship that The Perfect Storm was about. Hungry Ocean is about swordfishing on the Grand Banks, and it's fascinating.

rk

i just got done reading this book and it was awesome, plus it was only 14.00 bucks, so it was worht the money thanks for recommending it to us, any one else should read it.

Best Fishes

Chris

My dad's favorites are anything by Patrick McManus or Gary Larson (all of the Far Side books.)

Two of my favorite books are God, Guns, and Rock & Roll and Kill It & Grill It by Uncle Ted Nugent. cool.gif

Legendary Deer Camps by Robert Wegner is a good read for the northern deer hunter. He also has a new book out titled Legendary Deer Slayers - haven't read it yet but should be good. Also like Bucks the Benoit Way by Brice Towsley(sp?).

"A Sand County Almanac" is THE best book ever written. Any person who appreciates the outdoors MUST read it.

If you take a philosophical approach to the outdoors, "Walden" is worth your time--twice for me. grin.gif

Of course, I'll throw in a vote for all things McManus. Love everything he's ever written. I had a Rancid Crabtree of my own growing up...

Another book, "Confessions of an Eco-Redneck; or, How I Learned to Gut-Shoot Trout and Save the Wilderness at the Same Time", has one of those titles that just begs you to read it out of curiosity. I'm going to pick it up when I get a chance.

This book doesn't have any poetry in it however if you want to learn about catching muskies up in Nothern Minnesota and Canada it's a must read.

"Muskies on the shield"

By my friend and Muskie ledgend Dick Pearson. smile.gif

Two of my favorites are by Gene Hill - a) Outdoor Yarns and Outright Lies & B) Mostly Tailfeathers. Both of these books are comprised of short stories pertaining to hunting, fishing, dogs and everything outdoors. They are "no brainers" in that the stories are short and very easy to read with no complicated plots or heavy thinking involved. If you are looking to learn more about these subjects, these books are probably not what you are looking for. If you just want some very enjoyable nights by the fire with a good book, these will definitely work. Check them out.

Alot of good reads "Sand County" is one of my all time favorites.

One that hasn't been mentioned is "Silent Spring" by Rachael Carson. While it is true that it probably started the whole "earth muffin" movement in this country, the changes made in agriculture and chemical use in this country because of this book have definately helped our passions as well. Very good book although I am glad that most of her predictions have not come true.

OK Off my soap box

My two other favorite reads are " Friday Night Lights" by H.G. Bissinger and "A Civil War" by John Feinstein . Friday is about high school football in Texas and was just made into a movie. Civil War is about the Army-Navy game and the dedication that these scholar-athaletes put into the game that they love. You will never look at the Army-Navy game in the same way again. These kids are truely the best that america has to offer.

BTW.... GO NAVY! BEAT ARMY!