• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pregnant Lab question--UPDATE

fishtrap3

If she's pregnant, I wouldn't mess around if you think she is actually emitting the scent and didn't get to rolling in something. I'd start with a call to the vet 1st and see what they think. If it's coming from her mouth area, it's usually a sign of Kidney problems. I've had increased "strong" odors with my pregnant dog's urine, but never anything from the skin. Also right before they whelp, you can get a discharge that is lubricating everything up... that has an unpleasant odor... but if she's that far along you probably already have your answer.

Good Luck!

Ken

Yes she is having a little discharge.. I am thinking the next day or two and her pups will come.. She no longer can lay down for more than a couple min.. Last night before I went to work she was falling asleep standing up. Doesnt want to eat either..

Falling asleep standing up sounds like a girl that has already whelped. I assume you've already checked all the corners? Don't want to sound condescending in any way but is the dog monitored at night? Has she possibly been pushing when you're not in the room and then is all happy-happy to please dad when you come in the room? I'm with Labs and say a vet visit is in order.

Just an update..... She is doing fine and started having her pups last night. Up to this point she has had 8 pups. One was born dead though. Seems like every time we think she is done she has another one. She started last night about 6:00 and just had the latest one as I was getting online to type this update..

Vet and couple other people I talked to said she might have been waiting for me to be home to have the pups.. A possable link to the way she was acting the couple days before she had them.

Well I have a situation-- My wife started giving mama mixed soft food with the hard. Now she wont touch just the hard food, Am I doomed to mix food now? Also should I be feeding mama puppy food? This is all new to me and it was a accidental (speeling) breeding. As myself and wife work roating shifts and kids didnt kennel her as they were suppose to when they let her out in the morning.. I am just happy the neighbers lab up the road was making visits when I wasnt home....

I have been breeding dogs for a couple of years now. I had this problem when I first started to. The best way that I found was to slowly reduce the amount of canned dog food that the female was getting. Usually after a week or so she was getting only a spoonful 2 times a day. Make sure that the canned food is mixed very well into the dry food. There should be a very thin coating over all of the dry dog food. Be careful what every you do, the first couple of weeks are the most important. It might be worth the hassle to continue the canned dog food until the pups are older. Make sure those new pups get the right shots at the right times. The worst thing that you can do is not to vaccinate pups.