• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just bought my first portable Ice shelter..

Kylersk

I spent alot of time on the INternet, asking questions and looking over various websites. I had my mind made up on the Frabill XL speedshack, but wanted to see one first.

My first trip was to the Gander Mountain in Lakeville. They had a couple of Frabills (speedshack cub, the twin and triple pull over) and quite a few different Clam's, but no XL.

So, off to Cabelas I went. Cabelas had a nice selection, including the otter line. After looking at the Frabill XL and talking to the salesman, I was now steering towards the otter and a Sled based shelter. At this point, I think I was leaning towards the Otter Resort and Frabill Tri-plex. Cabelas didnt have the Tri-plex, but I glanced at the one at GM. The Resort was about $584 while the Tri was $499 and came with 3 charis. I wanted to take another look at the tri, so I drove back to GM. After a closer look at the Tri, I noticed it didnt have any braces between the poles. I didnt like that at all and the Salesman there steered me towards the Clam brand. Now, I'm thinking maybe I should get a clam, but I'm not sure.

So, I head back to Cabelas! I went back and forth between the Clam Voyager and the Otter Lodge. Finally, I said "I'll take the Clam". He set up my pick up ticket and off to the cashier I went. The line was huge, as it was 5 minutes to closing. Standing in line, I changed my mind and went back and got the Otter lodge instead. So, now I'm home and hoping I made the right choice.

What a day! And my 3 year old son was with me the whole time, what a trooper! Still, we had fun.

Congratulations!!

Hopefully we were all able to help you out a little bit. I think you made a good decision. The Otter is a great fish house and will provide you with years of enjoyment.

The problem when it comes to buying a house now is there really isn't one right answer. Most manufacturers all produce a similar, high quality product so trying to make the correct choice can be very difficult.

I've used an Otter house for about 3 years now and I don't have one complaint about it. I've been planning on getting another house this year and its going to be the Otter Lodge. Thats what I'm used to, what I'm comfortable with, and I know I'm getting a quality product.

Once again, Congrats. It also sounds like your son has the patience required to be a good ice fisherman grin.gif

I bought an otter lodge 2 januarys ago, love it, so easy to set up, easy to tow with an atv, sled or by yourself. lots of room for 2, also have fished 3 adults with one on a lawn chair- that was tight with 5 holes drilled. still had fun. you will enjoy the otter

I winter camp and my portables sled doubles as a means to haul heavy loads with gear across rough terrain and many miles across lakes. I used my Otter for years to do that.

When my kids got old enough to take ice fishing on area lakes the old Den wasn't big enough anymore so I sold the Otter and got a Voyageur. I like it and it had enough room for myself and two kids but I found I was hesitant to tow it into lakes I fish that have boulder strewn trails or load it down like I did my Otter.

This winter I'm going to get the Otter Resort, it should have plenty of room for the times I take the kids and enough room in the tub to haul all my winter camping gear.

Theres a lot of good shelters to choose from, make a list of your needs then go out and shop.

Today, I put everything together in the garage. The assembly was pretty easy. After I had it assembled, I decided to put it up outside. I just put in the last brace when I heard this noise on the outside of the shelter. I open the door and my dog was talking a wizz on it! confused.gif

hope you are happy with your shack! ice fishing is a great experience that i just got into last year. i didn't buy an otter but i have heard nothing but good things about them.

i have a frabill twin and just to let you know--they came out with support braces that you can buy off their HSOforum for extra support between the poles. just a little fyi. hope you enjoy the ice fishing experience and hope your boy does too! grin.gif

The brace issue is not big deal on the Frabill XL. It was added because many guys wanted a extra brace that usually gets used to hang things from like the new lantern bracket. On the XL you may get some wobble in heavy winds, more so on the Triplex. The Triplex may have more need for an additional cross support, mostly due to the extra width?

At the end of the day what was important is you found a shack that fit YOUR particular needs. I am sure it will serve you well.

Your pouch apparently likes the Otter too, or he would not have tried to mark it as his own? You may need to do the same to his Dog House...to set him straight? laugh.gif