• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Weather change=MIGRATION

Word just received from Winnipeg area and points north of us.

Low fog and rain changing to Low cloud and ceiling cover winds changing to 30 + mph out of the NORTH.

reports from LOTW and Winipeg suggest rafts up and moving as of 9:15 this am going south. large numbers of ringnecks were seen on Lower Red Lake this am appearing to have increased.

please up date this thread over the weekend with your observations or reports. Also if any one knows how to move this around please put it on the Waterfowl Forum thanks gotta go get the boat ready.

Update from some of my friends up north, Birds are definatly moving out. They saw large numbers of mallards and divers heading out they have an approaching front coming in withthe high winds.

three of them limited in an hour and a half. this was about 40 minutes Sw of Winnipeg.

went out, storm came in, nothing flying. How far is Winnepeg from here? Whats your prediction when they will arive? If they are coming with the winds (from the N in fact) they should be here this weekend. going out tomarrow morning.

-Good Luck

JN

WE saw high flying flocks of 50-70 birds per flock Sat evening and Sunday morning all moving SE. Sat was up on Little Turtle and Sun east of Bemidji. Way high but moving winds came but no temp drop. Winnnipeg is about 4 hours north of us. Spoke to some friends up by LOTW and they saw some birds but not big numbers. Big Flocks still rafted up on Red Lake. thought this was it sorry guys, some birds in but not quite right yet.

was hunting Cass Lake Sat. for most of the day - not 1 duck seen. Thought the N wind would have pushed some birds in - saw 1 grebe, 1 coot, & 1 eagle and that was it. I'd at least had some birds decoying Thurs./Fri. - even popped a woodie on Fri. - no divers tho.

Seemed like the wind was just enough to push the resident birds but not bring any big #'s of new ones. A postscript tho ... the mallards I did see on Cass this past week didn't seem to be the wary locals - they were decoying well and not so skittish as they had been all season so far.

went sun. morning, saw quite a few flying, should have had atleast 2 mallards. and 2 mergansers, but didn't bother shooting them. alot flying, only about a dozen total low enough to call in. NorthW bemidji 10-15miles.

-river systems are supposed to be good

JN

Traveled through 3 counties and got shut out for the weekend. Took 2 shots at a Mach 5 drake buffelhead and that was it. To add insult to injury I got back to the access Sun Am only to watch about 30 geese land right by where I was sitting. I have never seen so little this time of the year unless we were frozen over which was 11/4 up here last year. Once again without all the clippers going through I think the birds stage close enough that when a push comes through they will bypass the northern 1/2 if not the whole state. My typical optimism is about gone.

We must have had all them ducks from the northern part of the state come down fri. and sat. Not huge bunches but for our area it`s nice to get some shooting. One flock of bills and managed to get one bird. We shot some really nice drake green wings. Almost fully colored and a few mallards in the mix. I also agree with the fly by on into Iowa theory. Just hope to be out when they come by. 21 days left lets make the most of it. Flip