• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need an English Setter Pup

ccarlson

My English setter, "Jack", has had his last big year. He was hit by a car and we put a steel plate in his hip when he was 3. Since then he's hunted 5 good seasons without any trouble but is now showing his age and hip problem. Last weekend was a tough one for me watching him trying to walk

at the end of the day. He was an excellent hunter and will hopefully still provide a couple more years as a family pet and some occasional short hunting trips.

I will be looking for a new English Setter pup this next spring. Ideally I'd like to get an 8 week old pup sometime in April.

I'm still not sure if I want a Field bred setter or a Ryman/hemlock for this next one. What are everyone elses preferences and why?

It will be for hunting both pheasant and grouse as well as the family pet. Jack did such a great job doing both pheasant/grouse which I hear isn't always so easy to find. The only thing I want to improve on for my next setter is a natural retrieving instinct.

Thanks for any input or information you may be able to provide.

ccarlson

Thanks, Justin. I've got a late night at work tonight and then I'm off for the weekend to do some hunting over in West Central MN. I'll give you a call early next week. I know you've always got good info on Setters so I'm sure you will come through for me.

Anyone else with any input? I noticed when I did a search that some of you a few months ago were looking and specified Ryman/Hemlocks. I'm curious why.

ccarlson

test, some of my replies are not getting posted for some reason. I'd go for the field setter. They look great running and really stylish when pointing. Some of the other setter strains don't have the style thing going for them. Although beauty is in the eye of the beholder.