• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where are you headin' for deer season?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going 10 minutes south of Bemidji. Pretty convenient being I go to school at BSU. Great having the hunting shack so close and only 2 classes a day, get to scout and enjoy the woods on a very regular basis. Can't wait until friday night. Having a beer with the crew and getting no sleep becuase of the anticipation. Good Luck

I'm heading out of state again this year and hunting around Napoleon, ND. My mom is originally from this area and most of my relatives live in Bismarck, about 1 hour away. Therefore, this turns into a yearly family get together. Out of the last 10 years we have 8 deer that ran between 130-170 in this area.

MinnesotaMuskie,

Ive been to the Junction Bar before( A time or two). Very Cool place. My brother goes right there for Deer hunting. I believe that they have made a trip of two to the Junction as well. I have friends in BigFork, they own the Antler, Antler Store, I just love it up there. Myself, do not hunt up there, I hunt by a huge town called Cloverton.

Good Luck to all.

"hooks"

We are heading to "Bushwacker" just outside of Blackduck. The guys have been there for 40+ years and it seems to be more fun every year. It is a great tradition that I would never go without. It is the only time we all 8 get together each year, but I still had all 7 guys in my wedding last spring. Almost like family.

Well last year was my first year deer hunting and i went to the Rum River State forest we took 3 does. and i have a great story not even 5 minutes into getting in the woods suns rays just made themselves visible and i hear the cracking of the snow remember it was about 7 degrees on opener las year in that area and the snow froze. i thought to myself thats another hunter and its going to be crowded and to my amazement i saw a 6 pointer i aimed and got the shakes i tried to run with the ball before catching it i pulled on the trigger instead of squeezing broke every rule of being calm i missed him from about 40 yards out lol. i never saw him again. my slug gun was set for 100 yards. I kind of forgot to compensate.

Hey Double D that wasn't our group with the sign. One year I bought a huge orange "Welcome Hunters" banner that you see at the bars, etc every year and hung that in camp. I'm not sure who that was with the sign your talking about. Our group has been comming up here since the early 70's (or at least my dad, uncles, etc started then) I've been up there since 83 myself. How do you like the Pine River area?

~piker

Fishnhooks,

I was hoping they would have that fixed We are actually off Cty 32 which is the detour lucky for us but you got to feel for the people that own the Duxbury Store this is there money weekend and that brigde out is going to cost them dearly Really going to cut down on the traffic It is a CWD test site this year so hopfully that will get'em in there otherwise i think alot of people will be heading into Sandstone to regesister their deer They have had a rough couple of years there the BP and the Conaco are the sites in town

Fishhooks

If you took the road north out of Duxbury to 32 and take a right there is a ranch or farm on the corner Double T i think they call .. 1/4 mile down there is a left hand turn to a trail head with 2 cabins left and one on the right. One on the right is green and the hunting shack on the left is yellow ... They named all those roads up there but i can remember the name of that one Might be old town or old school... I the trail head always has cars parked on the road first group you come to after making the right on to 32

Dawg70,

I think I know where you talking about, I will be going right through there Friday, I am planning on being up there at about noon to noon thirty. Oh yea, Sorry, I guess I have no idea where the Dawg66 came from????

"hooks"

T-Rex: We have hunted down in Houston from Money Creek to Freeburg over to Spring Grove and I agree, the biggest bucks I have ever saw was in Houston County. I was down two weeks helping put up stands and I jumped either a 8 or 10 and the horns were really polished you you know I was close! I have to say and this might sound crazy but we thought one year when the corn was all gone that we would have a field day but, it was the worst year we had. What we think is that the corn actually keeps the deer in the woods otherwise they move but, that is just a guess. We stay at Camp Winnebago which is great. Great prices and a good bunch of guys sharing stories over a few cold ones! I'm glad to see a couple more FM people joining the hunt for Mobey Buck in Houston County.

Ken

I must have Deer on the mind sorry for the wrong name spelling again Dwag70. I think I got it right this time. And good luck to you and your group as well. Do you go to the Deer hunters supper at the community center?

"hooks"