• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where are you headin' for deer season?

Hey LaVoi I hunt pretty close to you. We hunt in the Beltrami Island state forest area and always stop at foretown on the way in and out. We have a couple little shacks out there too. We used to be referred to as the "Tent Crew" because our party had a big canvas army tent in the middle of camp. We used to camp right on public land until one of our party members bought a 40 with some shacks on it about 2 mi from our old camp site. Good luck and maybe we'll see you in foretown!

~piker

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skeeter, are you originally from around that area. I have lived my entire life on the White Earth rez near Mahnomen. Just curious.

Pikerliker- It's a small world, our party also hunts Beltrami Island. So if you pass up on a nice buck this year just send him my way!

Heading up to Orr/Cusson area, down the Elephant Lake road. We own 80 acres back there. I can already feel my "cold" coming on. It should hit me Thursday morning sometime, probably won't be able to make it in to work. I guess I'll have to head up early then, oh well!

Ironranger 420:

We hunt over by Buyck. Last year I did some scouting on the Elephant Lake Rd between Elephant Lake and the Vermilion Falls. They must have been logging in there. What a deep muddy mess! I was concerned even in 4L.

Hey echo-

Yeah, they have been doing some serious logging back there. Most of the jobs are being done by a company out of Orr. I am impressed with the quality of the logging though. They are cleaning up after themselves really well, and are doing a good job of leaving seed trees and skags for re-growth and animal habitat. They've logged pretty close to our property, which should help us. It will push more deer into our land for cover.

So you hunt down the echotrail, eh? My great grandpa started a hunting shack down the "Gold Mine Camp road" back in the 50's. We hunted there until the mid80's then our family split off from that shack and started our own. We owned the big red pole barn and cabin that you drive past on HWY 53 right were HWY 73 connects onto 53, just north of Cook. We owned that for about 10years but didn't have much good hunting land there so we sold. We bought 80 acres just on the North side of Mryrtle lake about 5 years ago, and WOW, do we see the deer. The worst year I had was about 3 years ago. i only saw 18 deer year. smile.gif Last year I saw 23 deer, and had two 8-pointers shot of my stand. Total we got 3 8pointers, 1 doe, and wounded 1 10pointer that stopped bleediing, and never were able to recover.

How far down the echotrail do you hunt? Do you go all the way down to the "Moose Lake Turnaround" or not that far? I'm sure you have a lot of land to "get lost" in back there. Beautiful country to say the least!!!

Good luck this year!

i'm heading to milaca.....125 acres of private property...and we have talked to the neighboring farmers who have seen a huge 14-pointer running around...hopefully i see him around 7:00 am on saturday morning!!!

fisher98

Ironranger420:

Five in our group hunt the second week. We switched from hunting the 1st week several years ago and love it. We stay at the Trails End by the Gold Mine Road and each of us hunt our different favorite areas. We very seldom go further East than Jeanette Lake though. I got a 10 pt. first morning last year and had time to look at other things. I wanted to scout a #493 FR (Just East of Elephant Lake) but couldn't get to it. Maps show is runs to the NW and ends just SE of the Ash River approx. across from the Frontier Resort on Kab. (Mapquest) Do you have any idea if the road is gated, overgrown or even driveable? I'll scout again this year with time, but won't get stuck over it. Too far to walk and cell phone is no good in there. Good luck to you also!

Hey pikerliker (and Lavoi),

Did you guys used to have a sign in front of that tent that said Over the Hill gang or something like that? Our group had been in Beltrami 45+ years until we moved west of Pine River a few years ago. We used to make Beltrami Forest camp on the second logging trail to the south of the NE end of the Bemis Hill road. Just south of where the tar ended. There is still a group of 4 older guys around where I live now that hunt about 6 miles North of Fourtown.

Small world.

DD

I'll be heading up to our place West of Cook, MN. It is always good to go home and chase the deer around. It should be a good year as I've heard there have been quite a few deer in our fields. I would like a couple of inches of fresh snow on Sat morning however.

Well good luck to everyone

Later

I will be headin to Whitewater. Seen quite a few deer there while squirrel huntin earlier in the year. Hopefully I get one!!! I just bought a sit and climb stand and I hope it aint to hard to get up the tree in the dark. Good LUCK EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!