• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stay n' Charge

Big Dave2

Question

I just recieved my new stay n charge in the mail a few days ago. I was excited to get it going so I went out to the truck to install it. After running the wire up to the battery, I went to install the breaker. Of course I dropped it on the cement floor and when I took a step back to look for it I heard a CRUNCH. I looked down and it was in a hundred pieces.
Well to make a long story shorter I was wondering since that part seems to only be a circuit breaker, could I use an inline fuse instead? If so, what size fuse would I use?
Maybe I could run it from a fuse in the fuse box? What do you guys think?
Thanks in advance for any info.
Dave

8 answers to this question

Dave thanks for picking up the stayncharge unit. You could do alot of things, but I would prefer you use the circuit breaker i give you with the system. Things happen and i want you to enjoy the stayncharge so if you would like let me know how to get you another breaker. I live in apple valley so let me know how i can help. thanks

------------------
JIM PAYNE

Jim
I have a question about the Stay n Charge. Most of the year, I trailer my boat to different lakes. For two weeks, I will be at a resort with the boat in the water all the time. Is it possible to charge it with your system?

Jim, thanks for responding. How much would a new circuit breaker cost? Also, my little dillema got me to thinking, would it be better to wire this thing to a switch? I was just thinking that since it is a hot wire all the time would I have to worry about getting the ends of the wire in the lake water and popping the breaker all the time when I load and unload my boat? Also I started thinking about the Idea of just wiring it to a fuse in the fuse panel so that there would be no juice to this thing when the vehicle is not running. What do you think jim?
Thanks for your time, Dave

GOOD QUESTIONS DAVE. YOU CAN DO IT ANYWAY YOU WANT BUT A FEW THINGS TO THINK ABOUT. IF YOU HOOK INTO A FUSE LINK ALREADY ON THE TRUCK YOU TAKE THE CHANCE OF INTERFERING WITH THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM ON THE TRUCK WHICH WOULD PROBABLY NOT EVER HURT ANYTHING. I WILL GIVE YOU A NEW BREAKER AT NO COST. WE HAVE OVER 1000 UNITS BEING USED AND I HAVE NOT HEARD OF ANY THAT HAVE HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE BREAKER BECAUSE OF WATER. SO YOU REALLY HAVE ALOT OF CHOICES BUT I WOULD RATHER YOU USE THE ORIGINAL BREAKER. LET ME KNOW, 612-590-5833

------------------
JIM PAYNE

Jim
I have a 1994 Lund ProV Tiller with a 75hp Mercury. Two batteries hooked in series for Minnkota trolling motor and 1 battery for main power. Currently have a three bank pro charger from Charging Sysyems International.
I guess I'm looking for something better. Batteries end up being replaced every two years.

With the stayncharge systems you have a few options. First you can use the new stayncharge gorilla and hook it up to charge while you are on the trailer and your charge time will go down to 45 minutes from dead to full while at idle from your truck. we are working on a extra part we are coming out with so you can charge while you are on the water from the gorilla. we can make you an exstension if your truck is close enough (40 feet) to were your boat is in the water so you can run it from your truck to your boat and hook it up at the end of the day and let truck run for 30 or 40 minutes and that will get your batteries to 98% full. either way you do it the stayncharge system is going to give you better life on your batteries. hope this helps and if we can help with nay of these things please let me know. thanks

------------------
JIM PAYNE