• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Seeking ice shelter advice..

Kylersk

I'm looking at purchasing my first Ice shelter this year. Currently, I'm leaning towards the 'cabin style' of house. I think this style would be better suited for kids. I want something big enough for 2 adults or 1 adult and 2 kids.

A couple I've looked at, but not in person, are: The Clam 6800, Shappell 4000, and Frabil XL. Not sure, they might be too big? or just right? Any advice, product recommendations or general comments are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kylersk-

Looks like post #1 for you. Welcome to FishingMinnesota.com!

I can't comment specifically on the houses you've mentioned but i can give you some thoughts on the last 4-5 years I've been seriously ice fishing.

2 well behaved adults, a 4x8 'cabin' style house will suit you just fine. My dad and myself have fished out of a 4x8 for many years. He gets his 3' and I get my, err, 5' I guess. If you move up to a 5x8 house, now you can really fish 2 adults with some elbow room.

If you are thinking about fishing with 2 kids, I would probably go for the largest house that will give everybody there own space. I'm not sure how young your kids are, but if they are fairly young, you'll probably be setting the house up by yourself too. So overall weight of the house (for lifting it into your vehicle), and ease of set up (because you might be setting it up alone) might be very important traits of the house you choose. Just something to consider.

Is there a such thing as too BIG?

A couple of things to keep in mind:

1. Weight of the house. Can one person set-up and load the house into the vehicle and transport it on to the lake.

2. Your vehicle, will it fit into your vehicle along with all the other ice fishing gear.

I had the Clam 6800, I loved it. Now I have the trap vuyager. The reason i switched is I got a 4 wheeler and a snowmobile so I can pull it with them. To me the 6800 had all the room I needed. My brother in law had one too and made a LOW trip with two other guys. A little tight but worked. I'd probably still have it if it weren't for the wife. I also have the trap scout and a 7 by 14 on wheels. Oh boy she's behind me reading this. Good luck Kid

I have a Frabil Speedshack XL and its the best made and easiest/fastest set up of any house in its size catagory. I can get mine set up in less than a couple minutes all alone. Floor has no center ridge and doors are big and zippers dont bust. Mine is about 11 years old and the new ones are evn better. If your going suitcase style I highly recomend this unit. My friends with Clams are still setting up and drilling holes when Im fishing.

I often fish out of mine alone and cook on a grill in it.Just open the doors of course.

2 adults and a kid will be ok but 3 adults is tight. Its super roomy for just 2 adults. 4 kids could fish out of it easy but boy would that be something to get on video! blush.gif

I agree on the frabil speed shak XL, It's a 6'X6' size and very fast. The downfall is that they are very heavy. Lift one before you buy one. A close second for me would be the shoremaster sportsman series. For about $370 you can get a 4X8 and set up is very quick. Our family had a similar shoremaster for about 6 years.

I currenlty own the Shappell 4000 have had it for 4 years now. It works great for me. I take my wife and 2 kids out all the time, it can get a little crowded depending on how much things the kids bring, but over all very happy with it. Very portable also and not heavy conpared to some other brands.

I also had a speed shack xl. When your talking about suitcase style houses your not very mobile. Also the Clam 6800 goes up just as fast as the frabill. They have basically the same poles, just alittle different. Also the speed shack WILL be Very tight with 1 adult and 2 kids. The best way to check that is go to Gander or wherever and go in it with the kids. I guess my biggest point is if your going to sacrifice mobility go with the most room. The 6800 isn't that much heavier any way. Good luck and try them out in the store first.

My buddy has a "cabin" style house. I have two fish-traps, a scout, which is a one-man, and a voyager, which is a two-three man. The Fish-Traps both have a built-in sled, which I think is an absolute "must-have", especially if you're with kids, & you're doing all the towing. My buddy's shelter is a little bigger (and harder to heat), but he also has to pull a separate sled with equipment. Plus his shelter pulls very hard (by hand) through any snow, & would be difficult for one person to load in the truck.

Get a shelter with a built-in sled. You won't be sorry.

Paul