• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

When will "ice-up" happen?

Timber

I have an ice fishing trip planned for December at Lake of the Woods. It is nearly November and the temps are in the upper 50's. Snow for deer season is looking very unlikely and I'm getting worried about enough ice for ice fishing. How far from "normal" are we?

In central MN, first ice is normally around Thanksgiving.

I have only seen it earlier a few times.

I have also seen it come in mid December, too.

There is one thing for sure, it will come.

It's just a matter of time...!

Timber-

Hard to say what 'normal' is anymore confused.gif

Last year, opening weekend of deer season, we awoke to the thermometer reading -7 degrees. Hmmm... that is only a week and a half away. I can't see that happening again this year but you never know. I managed to make it out to Upper Red on Thanksgiving last year. They had 7-8" of ice!

Couple years ago, I went up to Zippel Bay on Lake of the Woods and they had between 4-8" of ice on the main lake Christmas weekend.

You never know. I've got a trip to Devil's Lake, ND planned for the second weekend of December. We'll see what happens. I'm hoping for a solid 6-8" this year or we'll probably postpone the trip.

I have fished early ice dec. 1 for forty five years and there were only two years the group I was with could not get on winnie, but before the week was up we had good ice both times. We went to L.O.W.one year dec. 1 , you could see open water out about a mile in the lake, but the ice was good in the bays, be careful on early ice and look around your area often for changes in the ice. tongue.gifsmile.gif

I am normally on ice by mid November in the north metro area. This is one of the first places to freeze. If I say **** Lake Channel many of you know the lake. No, it is not the channel on Chisago.

The earliest I have been on the ice is November 11th.

After being in the hot tub tonight watching the World Series and the wind blowing on my baldhead, I would guess it would be an early year for first ice.

"De ice will form, when de weather gets cold enough to freeze de water!" Seriously, we went ice fishing on Mille Lacs one year, right after Thanksgiving dinner and another year, I was leary of going on the ice up there in mid December?

I suppose it is a guessing game, something akin to "When is the old junker gonna fall through" contest.