• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Otter or Fish Trap??

fishing 101

Like BuzzBunni mentioned.... Does anyone know what the difference is between the wilderness and the regular otters? Is the sled different, or is it just that it all comes as one unit. There has to be something different on these if they are $100 cheaper. I am heading to Cabelas on Thursday to buy a fish house. But please, keep all the info coming, because I am not sold on any yet. I am sure that I will make my mind up when I see them, but I like all your ideas.

from what I can see on the pics the tub geometry looks to be different. It appears that their is a bigger drop on the wilderness tubs vs teh original otter. I would spend teh extra $100 bucks and get teh original. just my opinion.

Not to mention you will sit up a little higher in the Otter II sleds. The wilderness sleds do have a little more drop in the design. Maybe for people that like their knee's in there face. That's another advantage of the Otter over the Fishtrap, you sit up higher and is a lot more comfortable. Unless they've redesigned the height of the sled/seats. I really like the height of the seating in my Otter Magnum.

Good luck!

Bring on the ICE!!!

TN

If they did,it would not have been a bad buisness decision.Allthough the Polar sleds are not quite as tough as an Otter,in my opinion they are the only ones that come close to the durabilty.

I think the new Wilderness shaks will be popular with anglers.They look good and cost less than the original Otters.

Myself?...with the beating I give my equipment,I gotta have an Otter.

I bought a voyager last year, and had real good luck with it. I haven't had too much exposure to the otter brand, but I've heard pretty good things about them too. I guess just try to picture your average fishing outing, and try to imagine what you want or don't want as far as features. There's always room for your own little touches too. Either way ya go, you won't have to sit out on the ice and freeze any more, so you've got that going for you, which is nice.

Tight Lines,

Porter

I just bought an Otter Small Den a couple weeks ago. It's replacing a 1989 Fish Trap II. Yes, I like to get my money's worth.

The Otter looks pretty darn nice. I really like the skirt around the bottom. No more standing on the flaps in the wind.

I did specifically buy the small house due to weight concerns. The bigger Otters look like a beast to drag, and I do quite a bit of walkin'. The Small Den weighs 43 pounds empty, my old house weighed 60 empty. I think I will like that. grin.gif

I'll let you know after a couple of years of severe abuse how much I like it.

Well thanks for all the advice guys, except I really didn't listen to the majority of you. I ended up going to Scheel's and they had the Voyager there, but no Otters yet, so I bought the Voyager. I set it up last night and think that it should do just fine.

A reply to Timber is that Otter DID NOT buy out Polar Sport. The Polar Sport fish houses are made in Buffalo, Minnesota. They have several lines to choose from just like the other leading brands. If value is important than you owe it to yourself to check out all the choices.

Corey Bechtold

Corey,

I have a Polar Sled, and I have looked at the latest Otter catalog showing the Wilderness portable tents/sleds. The sleds look exactly the same. Does Otter have some business arrangement with Polar Sleds, whereby they buy their sleds?