• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rod Storage Options

iffwalleyes

I just got the new Cabela's Winter Sports Catalog and they had a couple sweet rod bags in there. One from Ready Rig and the other is from Croxton Pond. The ready rig bag has a detachable pack and several other handy storage compartments. The Croxton is really cool for this year they have a compartment built it to hold your electronics and it is cabable of holding 8 rods as well as tip ups. The came back with the back pack straps. Croxton also has there gear bag that made them popular with most of us. Last year they did away with the back pack straps but they are back for this year. Just another couple cool things that I saw in the catalog that I thought I would share.

I will have a couple of JR's in my arsenal this winter. Priced great! I like the Ultra icebag it seperates each rod/reel from another. The Arctic has had some improvements for this year.

JR's rod bags

Stone Legacy also has some Quality bags.

I'm with BDR. I went to JR's for the first time this weekend and loaded up with gear. I DID NOT get the gear bag. It's good to have just another reason to go back grin.gif. I'd encourage anyone to go up there and gear up. Friendly, local, and great products.

get the revolution, it's a great bag. I have mine and can get 6 rod/reel combos in it easy, and there is a middle spot for all my tackle AND i even put a couple of those wire rod holders in there. Can't wait to see the look of envy on the old man's face when i pull this out on the first ice fishing trip this year.

Hmmm... There are a number of different rod storage options previously mentioned that I've tried over the years.

Let me start with the bucket. I used to be able to ice fish with a bucket and an auger. Amazing how things have changed. My little tackle boxes, stick rods, ice scoop- it was all in there. Worked great until I switched up to nice ice rods and spinning reals. Pretty soon, there was no room in the bucket and there were always tangles confused.gif

To prevent tangles, each rod & reel of mine went in a Ready Rig rod case. 1 rod, 1 case. Got kind of spendy but it worked. Now I needed my bucket to put all my Ready Rigs in. I don't know what I solved but there were no more tangles. Oh wait, now I had to try and unhook my lure everytime from inside the case. The hooks always snagged that nice padded material in there. confused.gif

Now I just upgraded to a Revolution and I think I've found the answer to all my problems. There is no doubt in my mind that a rod case able to hold all of your rods and some tackle, or in the Revolution's case, ALL of your tackle is the way to go.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with the Croxton, Ready Rig, JR's rod bags, or the Revolution for that matter. They are all somewhat similar in design and function. Being able to have most of your equipment in one place is the one thing that I feel is important.

Hanson - good points. The art of ice fishing has changed with the advent and introduction of new technologies, better rods, lures, augers, portable shelters, gps, four wheelers, snow machines, heaters, glow jigs, fish locators, cameras, maps and the concept of mobility, mobility, mobility. The modern day ice angler wants to be as productive as he/she can be considering the extreme conditions they face each and every time they step out onto the ice. A few years ago many fishing industry experts considered ice fishing to be the only one true outdoor related activity that had unlimited growth potential. Do ice anglers need all the stuff we are told we need to be more productive - probably not. Have those who have invested into new products and technologies become more productive - probably. I for one am glad that manufacturers are spending the time, doing the research, and spending a lot of hard earned dollars developing products that will help the average Joe Sportsman. Regarding rod cases I believe ReadyRig was the very first to recognize the need for graphite ice rod protection. They teamed up with the folks from Thorne Brothers about eight years ago with the first Ice Professional case. They since have added new items every year trying to help the ice angler with rod protection and accessory storage solutions. Since then many other companies like H.T., Croxton, Stone Legacy Revolution, JR's rod bags and Beckman have developed and brought similar products to market providing similar solutions to many of the same problems. Topics like these are important and can make a big difference in helping members become better informed regarding products that will help them become more productive when they hit the ice.

PS - You can stack up to three rods into one ReadyRig case - FYI.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I've seen them all. I wanted an ice bag that carried all my tackle, tip-ups, RockNReels, headlights and at least 4 rods or up to 8 if I wanted to.

The rods had to have a hard side protection to it which the Croxton doesn't have. The Croxton is definitely a nice bag and compares with JRs bags. You couldn't go wrong with either of these bags.

The result of that is that Stone Legacy designed the Revolution.

Bear in mind though that the Revolution is a sponsor here. However, sponsor or not, if they were not as good as billed you certainly would not hear me saying this.....

I believe the guys that have a Revolution and have used the other methods for transporting their gear such as the ready rig (GREAT protection doesn't haul much gear) or croxton(hauls A LOT of gear doesn't offer much protection) will tell you...

"Get the Revolution...It's a no brainer"

Why, because it hauls a LOT of gear and PROTECTS the big investment you have in 4-8 rods at the same time.

I only haul 4 rods at a time and do not worry about tangles either.