• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Utility trailer question?

92python

Question

I need to get a new utility trailer to haul my ATV around. Would like to be able to haul 2 ATVs.

Have a rusted out 5 X 8 from Northern that only lasted 5 years. Repainted it once but the rust has wrecked most of it.

Any recommendations on steel vs. aluminum and which brand? I don't want to repaint often. It will be stored outside.

Thanks

15 answers to this question

Aluminum - Big weight savings, no paint(ever) most manufacturers of aluminum trailers use higher quality parts (lights, ect), alot more money.

Steel - heavier, paint, depending on manufacturer quality parts, alot less money.

If you decide to go steel make sure it is built well. I perfer tube frames rather than angle iron. Check things like the wiring this can tell alot about the maunfacurers quality habits (scotch locks are a bad sign) paint falls in this catagory too. There are alot of people making utility trailers out there some good, some not so good.

If you can afford the aluminum trailers I would go that way. I have never owned one for that reason - too much money. But most, not all, manufactures of aluminum trailers use the better parts because the little extra it cost for better lights, ect is absorbed in the higher dollar trailer.

Do some reasearch before buying

arbuck

Are you looking specifically for a Utility/ATV type trailer?

I would recommend an 8x10 aluminum snowmobile trailer.

I went back and forth for a long time over what I wanted to buy(ATV or snowmobile trailer).

I am 150% happy I chose the 8x10.

I can put 2 ATV's comfortably on it, and I still have room behind the ATV's for our food plot disc or even the kids mini ATV.

I put D-rings on the bed to tie down the stuff I haul. They work fantastic.

You can get a better price on an 8x10 snowmobile trailer than you can on a specifically designed ATV type trailer that would have equivalent room.

It will get used mostly from now until Spring.

I am open to ATV/ Utility trailers or snowmobile trailers. I need something semi-maintenance free as far as the exterior goes. I only want to worry about things like bearings and lights.

A couple more questions: Do you need some sort of "salt shield" in the front of the trailer? I had plywood sides I added to my steel trailer. What about wheel / tire size? One of my friends has a 4 place aluminum snowmobile trailer with the little wheels and he seems to like it. Does tire size make much of a difference?

What else am I missing?

Any dealer recommendations? I live in the West Metro.

Thanks.

Well, an aluminum snowmobile trailer is about as maintenance free as they get I guess. They get used most during the time of use you are looking for.

I dont know much about tires, but the size doesnt bother me in the least. I just need something reliable behind my truck, and the snowmobile trailer I own gives me that.

I bought mine in Clearwater this spring. I can't recall the name of the joint off hand. Its right on I94 on the south side. The guy was great to deal with.

The brand is BearTrack that I got. They are made in Evansville, MN. My Dad has one, my bro in law has one, and I have one. They are top notch.

They make snowmobile and ATV trailers. Great stuff.

The bigger the tires the better. I have 15" rims on my utility trailer. I just took it out to Colorado and back. At each stop, I'd put my hand on the tires and they never even got warm. I heard stories about people using snowmobile trailers for a similar purpose and they'd overheat their smaller tires and burn out bearings. Think of it this way, how many less revolutions will a larger size tire make vs a smaller tire. Its ALOT. I have a chevy z71 silverado and I do not need a drop-down hitch for my trailer either. The clearance height of the trailer with larger tires is nice.

There is a retired gentleman in Plymouth (Bass Lake Rd & 494) that builds tube frame trailers in his garage. Very nice, with welded ramp tail gate, green treated floor, 3,000 pound axle and 14" tires. 5x8 is $1,100.00. Email me at jsmrekar at comcast dot net is you would like his phone number.

I really looked around before I bought my trailer. Found a great price after alot of looking. Found a small dealer just outside of Hutchinson while I was working there. Angle iron steel trailer. 5' x 10' with a really nice ramp. $700-$800 after tax and fees etc. I've since come up with further modifications that really make the trailer nice, so I'm extremely happy with it.

Thanks for the feedback. I need to get something within a week or so. Looked at some Aluma brand trailers today. Seem pretty decent. The snowmobile trailers with the smaller tires are less $ than the utility style. They have one ATV trailer that seems essentially like a snowmobile trailer with a couple of different features and market it as an ATV trailer. I am a little concerned about the smaller wheels. I know the bigger wheels might be better but I don't know if they are essential if I take care of the bearings.

I can tell you in 25 years of hauling a snowmobile trailer I've never had a tire blowout or bearing failure.

If you do regular maintenance on the bearings and keep the tires properly inflated you'll keep problems to a minimum.

You'll have to ask yourself what will you be using the trailer for. We already know an ATV but how many, one or 2?

If you plan on hauling 2 snowmobiles in the future then the ATV or utility trailer won't work.

You've mentioned you don't want a painted trailer because they rust. Since your gong to be using this trailer in the winter I'd get he aluminum or galvanized. That leaves out most utility trailers.

I think I'll go with a 2 place aluminum snowmobile tilt trailer. That seems to be the best bang for the buck. Probably around 1K. I saw the D-rings on one of the manufacturers sites. That looks like a good idea.

The aluminum utility trailers are a bit pricey and the other ATV trailers seem to be shrunk down slightly modified 2 place snowmobile trailers with ramps. They cost more than the snowmobile trailers and are a little smaller.

Thanks for all of the feedback. It was nice to get your opinions.