• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What and where?

Lost

Has anybody been targeting any "under-utilized" fish lately? If so, what have you been going for? Where? What kind of bait have you been using?

I wanna get out there and catch something decent size from shore. But where to go? And when? Anybody want to be a guide for a day?

Lost,

I see that you're down in fridley. I grew up in coon rapids. The coon rapids dam has a lot of carp and other rough fish, I'm not sure about this time of year, but it'd probably be worth a try. Corn or oatmeal wads with a slip weight on the bottom was our main tactic. Also the Rum River has some good smallie fishing. We used to fish in anoka, right where the rum and the mississippi come together, and do fairly well. Casting spinnerbaits worked ok, but we had the most luck drifting slip bobbers with leeches. Jigging from shore would also be worth a try. I haven't been out too much down that way in the last few years, but there's definately some action to be had. Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion. I used to fish there all the time but with all the foreigners that have made that their own, I've quit going there because they always cross my line... guaranteed.

Last time I went there, I hooked into a decent fish. As I was fighting it, one of them cast right over my line, got tangled in it, and my line snapped. I had been fighting this fish for at least 2 minutes when he decided to ruin the moment for me!