• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

VRO PUMP ?

upnorth

Question

I am looking for some advice on whether I can use some kind of epoxy to glue the top hose nipple back on to the top of the fuel/VRO pump. The motor is an "87" Evinrude 70 horse.

I was tracing a fuel leak and the top nipple was cracked and when I tried to remove it, part of the pump case chipped off. I really don't want to spend $230 or more on this thing.

I talked to the local hardware store guy and he thinks JB weld would do the trick, don't know if I trust his opinion tho. Don't want to call a marine dealer cause they are gonna tell me that I need to replace(money in their pocket)the pump.

5 answers to this question

I am unsure what that is made of, but if it is some type of metal try NAPA Gas Tank repair. It is similar to JB Weld but stronger. It will seal cracked engine blocks also.

------------------
Ret-ro!! :)

Upnorth, you might want to check with a dealer if the have a junk one (they used to fail a lot), you might have more luck this way. A gas leak in engine compartment is not something to take lightly, I had here 2 boats that were burned by motor problems, they weren't cheap to replace, beside the danger to you and other people onboard.

If all fails.....let me know I have a used one here, I might sell very cheap, you can make me any offer.

valv
That is what prompted this issue, looking for leaks because of some starting problems, and I think that it has been leaking for some time now. The nipple at the top was just hanging there and when I moved the hose a little with my finger tip the gas just gushed out. I have no idea why that dang thing actually ran that way.

I will keep it in mind that you have one tho.
Thanks smile.gif