• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

9.9 merc 4-sstroke question

Question

I've got a 9.9 merc four stroke '97 that I bought new,and use exclusivly for slow trolling (idle speed).After a couple of seasons I noticed I get gas in the cankcase oil.I had it in for service a couple of times. The compression checks fine,and they can find no mechanical problems with it. They say because Irun it at idle speed exclusivley that some gas get unburned. I have pretty low hours on it,and I've taken it to different dealers.So I just change the oil a couple of times a season to maintain viscosity. And I get the same explanation at each dealer. Is anyone familiar with this problem? Or does anyone have a different opinion? The dealers say 4-strokes aren't desinged to maintain prolonged/ exclusive idle speed. Thanks for any info

3 answers to this question

The F115 Yamaha (4-stroke) has had issues with "making oil", i.e. gas getting into the oil. The reason was the break-in procedure in the manual wasn't sufficient in seating the rings. The fix is to, after normal break-in, to run at about 3/4 throttle for 2-3 hours. Some people have suggested running the Ring Free shock treatment (carbon preventer/decarbonizer) at the same time to help get rid of any carbon that has built up. This has been discussed a lot on Walleye Central's HSOforum on the Boat and Motor message board.

Hi Hookmaster,
What is the Walleye Central HSOforum address? Also what is Ring free shock treatment. If you can't give me that web address due to regulations please e-mail at
[email protected]

I would be most grateful.I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem.When I drain the oil it not only has the odor of gas but also has some black sediment(carbon?} in it.
Is that similar to what others are experiencing on the Boat and Motor message board?
Thanks for your reply,
Jack

------------------
serenity Jack