• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Vexilar Edge2 review

Question

Well after months of waiting, I got to really put my new Vexilar Edge to use this past weekend. Like I figured, it was everything as I had expected but I was even more happy with the display and what this unit was showing me. And it was so simple to use.

The neatest thing about this unit is the two transducers that it uses. I was mainly fishing in water around 20-22 feet on Mille Lacs this past weekend. The Edge uses a 38 and 10 degree transducer. The 38 degree will have about a 12 foot cone, while the 10 degree will have around a 3 foot cone in 20 feet of water. Well, I began to mark fish with the 38 degree cone. Most of the fish I marked were long horizontal lines parallel with the bottom, very easy to read. Some fish were even laying on bottom and the Edge separated the fish from the bottom very well. What really made me happy about the Edge was it was showing me three things that were extremely easy to read on the screen, the bottom, baitfish and fish. Nothing else was on the screen. The screen was very “clean” and easy to read.

We kept passing over nice fish targets and catching Walleyes on every pass. My gal was my fishing partner on this day and we both had decent action going. But the basin we were fishing was very long and narrow and it seemed that the fish were holding tight to one area. The area where we were making most of the baitfish. So I told my gal I was going to keep us on top of these fish and see what happens. What I did next really got my gal ticked off. Whenever I noticed a nice fish target on the 38 degree transducer cone which I have on the right side of my screen and I didn’t get bit, I would kick my Minn-kota Vantage trolling motor on into a backroll instantly. I would then run back over the spot in figure 8’s until I had a nice fish target on the 10 degree cone. The fish targets on the 10 degree will show up as a block. The screen is completely clean and then boom, a large block appears on the bottom. I would then get my slip sinker weight directly under the transom of the boat where my Edge transducers are. As soon as that fish showed on my 10 degree cone, I knew it was within three feet of me. I would then stop the trolling motor and let the boat drift. Every time I did this, “whack” I got bit. I did this 4 more times in the next 30 minutes and started to “call” my bites to my gal as I was gliding over the fish. She said, “you suck” “ it’s not fair you have that fish finder and I don’t”.

With the fish not being schooled up yet, using this tactic proved to be very productive. Of course I let her sit in the captains chair and let her have a try a calling her own hits. But she hated trying to steer and fish at the same time. So I took control over the motor and let her watch the screen. She has never seen a fish on a finder before other than a Vexilar flasher when fishing panfish. So when she saw those blocks and then her rod tip bounced, I said ‘he’s on”. Boy did she get a kick out of that. Of course now I bit off more than I can chew because on the way in she says “ I want to fish like that all the time from now on”

To get more info on the Edge2 by Vexilar please visit www.vexilar.com

Good luck and tight lines..

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
651-271-5459
www.millelacsguideservice.com

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet