• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bow mount trolling moter ?

Dano2

Question

just mounted a powerdrive minkota.
was concerned about when I'm driving down the road and hit bumps, how the shaft bounces a bit if this is bad for it.
Well, even if it isn't I dont like the looks of it, heh.
Is there some sort of clamp or something they sell, so I can secure it.
I have a rail on the bow of my boat, there is about a 2" space between the shaft and this rail.
Maybe I should have done the permanent mount instead of using the quick release bracket, then it wouldn't sit up so high.
any thoughts on this?
thanks

6 answers to this question

RAM mounts brand makes a bracket that is great for this. It comes in two lengths. Usually the shorter is the one needed. It can be angled when mounted to accomodate any length up to the length of the bracket. I got mine from reeds but some other marine dealers have them too. Get it on soon or you will damage your motor in some way from it banging around.
ccarlson

Instead of spending the money, just use something to tie the shaft close to the head down the railing tight enough so there is no slack, this will stop it from bouncing. I use a quick release plastic buckle with a 1" black strap, works great.

Fisherdog

Thanks.
i was going to do something like that, but theres to much space between the shaft and the rail because of that quick release bracket makes it sit up higher.
i suppose i could have put some kind of spacer between there, but i went and got the ram braket.
A bit spendy, but so was the moter, so I figured i would make sure my investment is secure.

Going to mount mine this weekend, never done it before, looks like should go OK, but if anyone has advise to help me out, I would appreciate. Also I will be hooking direct to a deep cycle battery, should I run a fused ground to the main ground on the boat fuse panel, ort is this not necessary? I bought the 54lb 54" shaft. Using the quick release mount also. Thanks