• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minnesota WIld

walleyefisher0990

They picked up Brian Rolston from Boston... he is a all star and will be playing for team USA in the upcoming "World Cup" of hockey or whatever it's called.... I forget.
That should help, but they are still a defensive orientated team that lacks scorers... especially if Gaborik sleeps through another season.

No doubt Gabby had no confidence last year. Most of his moves were obvious. The irony here is with his speed, he probably could telegraph and still get away with it.

They have the D down, now scoring needs to pick up.

Let's not be too harsh fellas.
2 years ago was a fluk, I know it might not have seemed like it but we shouldn't compare them to that year. However if they don't make the playoffs 2 of the next 3 years then I would be very concerned.
Gabby signed that big contract now he better give big results, I think he was by far the biggest disappointment last year.

Lets face it guys, they aren't going to be a top notch team in this league. The management they have is great, but they aren't able to spend the money in order to have two strong scoring lines. Their defensive play is great and Lemaire's system works, but you also need scoring. Goaltending is key and that has been better than I thought it would be, so the real need is another scorer and preferably a veteran leader. Rolston is a good addition, he has played for Lemaire before, can score and is a good two way player and penalty killer. If he can score 30 this year and Gaborik has a good year then maybe they have a chance to do OK. Don't expect too much.

I agree with Rolly... mostly. The defensive style the Wild play could take them a long way again this year now that they should get a few more goals. Rolston was a huge addition. Kovu could be huge as well. There defense is solid, although I personally think Kuba is almost as over-rated as Chris Pronger!

I do have hope this year for some exciting hockey (if they play this year). Remember, after their yard sale on players last year they went from the 5th or 6th oldest team in the league to the 3rd youngest! After the yard sale they finished the season 8-3-1 with the young guys.

Also keep in mind that if they had won just 25% of the games they tied, they would have made the playoffs. And, didn't they set a record last year for how many 1-goal games they lost? I do worry that teams are going to learn how to beat the "trap" style defensive hockey just like Calgary and Tampa did last year. That won't leave the Wild looking very good but I think it would be great for the game.

Rolly's right though, Nagle will never spend a bunch of money on a team. As a season ticket holder I hope he never does. I like watching the players that hustle and work their butts off more than the "loafing, Right-Place-at-the-Right-Time, no back-checking" superstars like Mario and Lindros. I call that Thomas Vanek hockey! If the players are giving 100% effort and put on a good show without my ticket prices going through the roof, I'm all for it.

By the way Rolly, I haven't seen Reddington. He ran into a guy and broke his hand a few months ago and apparently he is a slow healer!