• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

NASCAR Talk

Rick

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I'm looking for a few good people who know their Racing and know how to communicate it. If you play fantasy NASCAR, so much the better.

I need some experts to start.

We'll have a little contest.
Pick your favorite driver(s) and tell us about them in this thread. Have at it smile.gif

Two guys from "The Gratefull Dead" sang the National Anthem, but the best part of the broadcast is when they had the Smothers Brothers in the booth. One claimed to know everything about NASCAR rules but when they questioned him about them it was clear he didnt know jack. "Uh, uh, uh, when the blue flag and the yellow flag, uh, when they start the uh, uh, the checkered flag means, uh uh,." It was pretty amusing.

I like NASCAR to a point. I was in a fantasy leauge about 5 years ago, my drivers were Rusty Wallace the first year and Bobby Labonte the second, that was the year Bobby won the Winston Cup. But then my roomate got totally obsessed (he had 3 of every toy car in every size, a shrine dedicated to Dale, tapped every practice, qualify, Busch, and Winston race for like 5 years) and I got sick of it, but now watch probably 10 races per season.

Been a NASCAR fan for many years.
I was also one of those Geoff Bodine fans. Had to do with the fact that he drove the Motorcraft Ford.
Now days I'm a Mark Martin fan. The race at Dover this year may have been ugly from a racing standpoint but it was beautiful for those of us who have waited years for Martin to win.
I also have a back-up plan so when Martin blows up (which seems to happen too much) I can enjoy the rest of the race. If Martin is out then I will pull for any of the other Rousch cars. When they are all out I will pull for a Ford if there are any left running.
If all else fails I will pull for Jeff Gordon. I just like to see the fans get mad at the fact that he may be the greatest driver ever.

What a race on sunday! Its been a while since ive seen a road race and actually noticed all the spin-outs.. I think there should be some more road races and/or short-track races. To me thats alittle more exciting then watching like chicagoland on other medium speedways like that. But i would have to say my favorite driver has to be Jimmie Johnson #48 Lowe's. And not just because he's leading the points now... And i would have to say jeff gordon has to be my 2nd favorite. Who won at sonoma, what a surprise! Though Robby gordon got kinda screwed with that tire flying off in the "s" turns and screwing up his track bar.. Oh well i suppose that happens..

So what does everyone think about the new rules for the drivers have to be within 400 points to make it to compete for the championship? I think its kinda weird to have that. Since i imagine only 10 cars will be within that mark.

My 9 year old son has got me intrested in NASCAR. Ticket price for the Nextel Events, however, are too spendy. So I am trying to find a good local venue. (Mpls and/or St. Paul). Do any of you know a good local track such as the I-94 Raceway where I can take my sone to watch stock car races. I would like to get as close to the real thing (i.e. NASCAR) as possible. Thanks. Jim

There are several. There is a dirt track just across the River in Wisc., I think it's called Cedar Lake speedway. Then there is Elko speedway just south of Lakeville right off I35. That is a blacktop track just a shade over a quarter mile. I have been to this track many times. Lots of fun. They race saturday nights. There is also a track in Shakopee that is also blacktop. They race Sunday evenings I believe. I know Elko's races are NASCAR sanctioned. NOt sure about the other 2 tracks though. Check your paper in the sports section for schedules.

I would think any way you go the 9 year old is gonna like it. The late model cars are gonna look just like Nextel cup cars to him.

Nick

I used to have one favorite, but now it is two. First would be the late Dale Earnhardt, and second would be his son Dale Jr. I have followed Nascar for many years and the first time I saw Dale Sr. race I was hooked. Dale jr. is currently second in Nextel points only 20 or so behind Jimmie Johnson. DEI is who Dale Jr. drives for along with Micheal Waltrip. I could go on and on about Dale jr. and the late Dale sr. but I'm sure most of you know just as much as I do.

I was a big Richard Petty fan has a kid. Then I switched to a guy named Jeff Gordon. His first race was Pettys last. So I just picked a new guy. Stuck with him since. Least favorite driver is Tony Stewart. The house is divided 2 Jr fans and 2 Gordon fans. Makes for a fun Sunday.

Rule number 1 for NASCAR: If yer gonna watch it, ya hafta pick a guy. This is what I was taught by my buddy who introduced me to it some 10 or 15 years ago. His guy at the time was Geoff Bodine (I don't even want to know why). I'd go over to his place on Sunday, we'd grill some steaks or burn a pizza and watch the race. At the start of the race he would start his VCR just in case his guy won. Then he could relive the glory over and over late at night while he checked the internet for any new conspiracy theories regarding TWA flight 800, I guess. As soon as Bodine crashed or blew his engine though, the VCR would be shut off for the week.

I chose Lake Speed as my guy. What better name for a stockcar driver than Speed, I thought. Plus he drove the Spam car, a quality local product. Secretly, I liked Earnhardt but didn't want to name him my guy lest I be thought a frontrunner. NASCAR folks don't like frontrunners.

My son, about 11 at the time, chose Mark Martin. This was in the days when he drove for Valvoline, not that other "V" product he drives for now. My guy couldn't even beat Bodine, much less Martin. I was quite happy when Speed lost his ride, freeing me at long last to go out and test the market for a new driver. I chose Rusty Wallace. He immedately went on a streak of about 60 races without a win, but that was o.k. with me since he would ususally at least be in the hunt. I'm also a Viking fan so I've had to lower my standards over the years. This was nothing new to me.

The lone Winston cup (I still can't say Nextel cup for some reason) race I went to was in Las Vegas a few years back. I figured going to a race in the desert would at least increase the chances that the race wouldn't be rained out. I was wrong. It was about 40 degrees out and raining that day. My buddy went to the track wearing a short sleeve shirt and had to spend about 60 dollars to buy a sweatshirt that was about 3 sizes too small for him off of some poor girl working at the beer concession. Jeff Burton won that day, 'cause he always wins rain shortened races (it ended just past the halfway point).

Since then I've had to settle for going to the ASA race at the state fair which was fun as well, until they took that away from me.

There is nothing like the roar of all those engines as they aproach the start/finish line to take the green flag. Maybe I should make a run to Elko soon. Anybody know who my guy should be?

Nick.

P.S. Who were those guys who "sung" the national anthem at Sonoma yesterda? Geez!

I am a passive NASCAR fan, but still not totally hooked yet.

My interest started in my local Legion Club. I had as much (maybe more) fun watching the hardcore fans watching the big screen as watching the race itself. Drunk hardcore NASCAR fans in a debate situation can be really entertaining.

Slowly, I started to pay a bit more attention. I'm to the point now where I will watch a few laps in the Legion, and then check the paper the following day if I miss the end of the race.

I still have yet to pick a 'guy' yet.

Hey Juice...

Regarding the points system, I don't really think it's a big deal that you have to be within 400 pts of the leader in order to get into the "playoffs". Chances are if you were more than 400 pts back you were done anyway. The big difference this year is the way they are gonna tighten up the top 10 after the 26th race. 5050 pts for the first place driver, 5045 for 2nd, etc. down to 10th. So the guy in 10th that was 399 pts behind is now 50 pts back. Nice little bonus for him.

You are right about it being wierd though. Like running 2 different races at the same track at the same time. 10 guys racing for the title and 33 other guys racing for position, etc. and just generally getting in the way of the chosen 10. It'll be interesting to see how it all works out.

Nick

When did this forum start? I just noticed it, I think it is a great idea. My favorite driver is Jeff Gordon even though he is the least liked guy by other fans. I always get the business by my cousins and uncles, they tell me I like him because he has always been good but to each their own. Didn't everybody like Micheal Jordan too. They were a little upset that Gordon won last sun. race while I was smiling. Yeah I have the same problem, I can't bring myself to say nnnn nnee nneexxxxx nnnnee nene nextel finnally!

Good Fishin'...

WooHoo a Nascar forum!! We have been fans of Nascar for many years, actually hubby has about 3-4 years on me, but I have been watching it the past 11 years. We participate in on-line racing "fantasy" contest and missed winning an autographed Jeff Burton Jacket by 1 point!! Currently I moved up to 3rd place within my team on Yahoo, only 8 points out of 2nd place by making the top picks from Sonoma!! Fantasy racing is hard because you never know what may happen in a race to change the outcome.

We are "Nascar Fans" ~ meaning, we enjoy all the drivers albeit winner or loser. We would never think of throwing "garbage" out on the track, like we have seen at recent races. There will always be controversary in the sport, the villain changes from race to race and yes, it seems, some just don't like "winners".

We've lost many in the sport of Nascar, although their deaths are not in vain. Nascar investigates and makes changes to ensure the safety of the drivers, the pitcrews and the fans.

Racers are true athletes, as are the over the wall pit crews. If you have never watched Nascar, give it a try!

------------------

ClementsonAccessOnRainyRiver Resort
Fishing on the Rainy River
in Lake of the Woods Area

Now this site has got to be one of (if not the best)...tons of fishing related info, and now NASCAR!!! Been a fan of NASCAR for many years, and the sport is def. growing. I am unsure as of yet about the new points system, guess we'll see how it all works out in the end. I have quite a few fav. drivers, but the one who tops the list-current driver=Dale Jr. This is my 1st yr doing fantasy racing. I am in 6 leagues, but the one I like best is the one at work, I have led all but one week, and if things keep up...I'll have $200.00 to buy more fishing gear with at the end of the season. The biggest gripe I have right now is....how NEXTEL refuses to honor past yrs champions as...WINSTON CUP CHAMPIONS...they were never NEXTEL cup champs. Just my 2 cents.

#17 Matt Kenseth fan. Before and after he became a Champion.
Been to 5 races at Talladega. Camped and watched all 5 in the infield. Been to one race at Kansas, both great tracks and would recommend them to all.
I was a J. Gordon fan when he first came into NASCAR (early 90's)
Never did care for old man Earnhardt. I can tolerate lil' E, but would rather see him blow his engine early in the race. (Same for mikey)
Go # 17, 2003 NASCAR Winston Cup Champion !!!

To start off I am a big fan of NASCAR. I too am adjusting to the new name. Fortunately or unfortunately, NASCAR is a changing sport and becoming much more commercialized, just look at the new points system and other changes made this year by NASCAR to try and keep the growing fanbase happy. These changes have been interesting to see given the fiercely loyal NASCAR fans.

I can't say I am happy about some of the changes, but you have to understand that NASCAR is a unique sport. They have to keep things new and interesting to maintain the health of the sport. NASCAR has one HUGE disadvantage to other sports in that people do not know the history of NASCAR. Ask the average American who the Babe was and many will tell you Babe Ruth. Ask the same people who the King is and they'll probably tell you Budweiser. Most poeple have no clue Richard Petty (the King of NASCAR) has won 200 races and shares the record for Championships with Earnhardt Sr. at seven. In order to preserve the health of the sport, NASCAR needs to bring new fans to the sport by showing people it's more than a "bunch of hillbillies driving around in circles."

As for drivers...my favorite Busch driver is none other than Matin Truex Jr. How could you be a fisherman and race fan and not like the guy driving the Bass Pro Chevrolet?!

My favorite Nextel driver is Jeff Gordon, saw his first race and win in the series and he caught my attention. What impresses me about Gordon is his versatility. He's captured the checkered flag at nearly every track on the circuit from the Super Speedways to Short Tracks to the Road Courses. Some say his success came too early in that he won 4 championships in less than 10 years. I say he did so for a reason, he had great teams is just plain good.

And it's nice to see we have a place a to talk NASCAR now. I just hope we can all keep it civil so we can enjoy educating each other beyond the lakes and rivers!

Good fishin'

Brian