• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

4.8 liter vrs 5.3 liter?

BLACKJACK

My wife and I have been looking into 26 foot travel trailers and I'm finding out that my Chevy truck with the 6 cylinder 4.3 liter engine is not rated to pull them. As I start looking into a truck upgrade I see that Chevy has the 8 cylinder trucks with both the 4.8 liter and 5.3 liter. Any thoughts on which engine is best? Will the 4.8 liter be enough? Any comments will be appreciated.

Blackjack, I have a 01 silverado x-cab 4x4 with the 4.8. I couldn't be happier with the truck, but I would without question get the 5.3 for pulling that trailer. The 4.8 would do it but for the extra $800 or so, the 5.3 would be better suited for that task.

Can't say much about the Chevy's because I'm a Ford guy (no ribbing please) but I'd go for the larger engine. You shouldn't lose more than 1mpg with the bigger one under normal driving and you'll have the much needed extra power for your trailer.
How much will you be pulling your trailer? Have you looked into a diesel engine? Power, power and more power all the way. Add $6000 to the truck but you'll get most of that back at resale. Just something to think about. Have fun shopping.

Another thing to consider with a diesel is increased milage. I have a Cummins powered Dodge, and it was a $4000 option at the time of purchase. I now have 140,000 on it, and with the increased milage over my old Bronco, I got my money back in fuel savings around the 90,000 mile mark. I have been averaging 20.5 mpg unloaded, and about 18 towing.

I guess I hadn't thought about a diesel! How much better is the mileage? How about starting in the winter time? How about starting if you're sitting on a lake overnite ice fishing and its -10 the next morning?

Eight years ago I bought a diesel tractor, and I noticed the difference in fuel use right away from my previous gas tractor. And if I plug it in, it starts like a charm. But outside without being plugged in? I doubt it.

I've been able to pull most anything with my 88 4.3 Silverado. It's a great flatland truck. My camper runs about 3,000 lbs. loaded. I run a lot smoother at about 60 on 55 mph roads but have to downshift and power up most grades. I'm looking forward to trying the Suburban later this fall.

Ifallsron, what type of trailer do you pull? My current Chevy with a 4.3 liter does a nice job pulling my fishhouse and boat, but I just don't want to be the guy going 48 mph with 15 cars behind me! The truck manual says the max load is 4500 pounds and the 26 foot travel trailer we're looking at is 4800 pounds empty.

Get the 5.3 or the diesel. I just bought a 1500 crew cab. They have very good rebates right now. When you can buy a new crew for $25,000, I think that is a pretty good deal. My dad has a 28 foot camper, he used to pull it with a suburban, pulled it at 60 pretty easily, but it seemed pretty hard on the tranny. He now bought a 3/4 ton with the 6.0 - brings the fuel down to about 7mpg. I guess, I would either recommend a smaller camper or the diesel.

Blackjack, my tentcamper pulls about 3,000 lbs. loaded, even more when I throw the 14-foot boat on top and I also tow a firewood trailer that will hold about a cord and that runs heavy depending on dryness of the wood. The camper is balanced better pulls pretty clean. Sometimes the firewood trailer feels like a plow.

I don't think I'd try to pull anything if I didn't have the five-speed manual tranny. I can run in overdrive and cruise pretty nicely on open road but have a hard time keeping pace at 50-55 when traffic picks up or there's any kind of long grade.

I didn't replace the clutch until about 130,000. Now I'm trying to milk a few more years out of it.

Blackjack -

My diesel averages a tad over 20 mpg on summer blend fuel, and around 19-19.5 on winter blend. This is the Cummins 5.9 in a Dodge, straight six cylinder. This is the HO engine, with a six speed manual. These are unloaded figures, mostly running 1900 RPM or 69 MPH. Anything much over 70 MPH, the wind resistance drops milage back a couple points.

On occasions where I have run 55 mph for an extended time, mil3age bumps up to about 21.5 to 22.

Winter starting has not been any trouble. It has started down to -20 without being plugged in. I plug mine in once temps drop below 25 degrees. I run it on a timer so the heat starts about three hours before I plan to start it.

Hey blackjack, did you make a purchase yet?

I have the 4.8L Z71. It does good, but under trailer loads more than 4000 lbs, the extra oomph of the 5.3 would be nicer. I tow a Boy Scout trailer that is about 4500-5000 pounds when loaded, and I'm no menace on the road with it hangin' on my back, but there's not much more headroom for performance with the 4.8L.

I havn't owned any of the new vortecs yet but I have several frinds who do, the 4.8s get the job done but the extra power of the 5.3 would be well worth it, I've got one friend thats even getting about 17 highway with his 5.3 while the 4.8s are getting 15-16. I also know several guys with the duramax,and for the most part they are only getting in the ball park of 16MPG, and diesel is more expensive than gas at the moment.

The 5.3 will have lots more power and will treat you MUCH better on resale.

I have the 6.0 in my 3/4 ton HD Silverado now and it has all kinds of power but is a real gas hog! The 5.3 I had in my '01 had good power and was SO MUCH BETTER ON GAS...

federline, I bought the 5.3 liter. Won't really know til we start towing the camper next summer whether its the right one. I do know that when you get out to pass someone it really goes!! No more building up speed to pass, when you stomp on it, it jumps!!

I would go with the bigger motor and heavier pick up. I've used 1/2 ton in the past but have a 3/4 now and with a fuel-injuction 351C 5 speed and just love it. Regardless of Ford, Chevy or Dodge, Go for bigger and heavier and over kill, Some day you mite want to go bigger on your camper and tradeing the pick-up would not have to happen. I only pull a 24 foot travel trailer with my 3.4 ton and on the interstate I run with the big boys, If you know what I mean.

Catfish1