• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is it ever going to warm up?

sunnyj

It has been a chilly spring hasn't it. Although it could be worse. Just wondering whats the coldest youve ever camped in?

Mine was last deer season got down to -12 F. Luckily we were in my fithwheel with plenty of heat. The propane tanks froze out with about a third left. brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Bring on the sun

Some friends and I do a trout ice-fishing/winter camp trip every year. We go towards the end of trout season, hoping for a little warmer wheather. This is cold camping, which consists of nylon tent, pad, and bag. I have a -20bag and have never been cold while sleeping. Getting up in the morning is usually a pretty good slap in the face though. We've been lucky and have never had to deal with bitterly cold temps.

If I can ever find a good deal on a used canvas tent with a portable stove, I'd go that route for winter camping. Going new is too pricey for me, considering it would only get used aprox. once a year.

For opener, I find a zero bag is plenty enough to stay warm.

No kidding. I go through more propane for my camper furnace from now through Memorial than for the rest of summer.

I keep a small bottle and one of those steak saver grill fittings in the camper as a backup just in case we run out.

i remember deer hunting years ago(about78') near togo minn. last weekend of the season it was like -17 below...my buddy slept on the top bunk over the cab of my pick up camper...heat rises....he was comfy... i slept where the table folds to a bed down below...i had some blankets beneathe me but only a military sleeping bag ...even with the little gas furnace popping on and off all night...i woke up and found my sleeping bag literally frozen to the metal wall of the camper.i had to peel it off!lots of condensation had formed with it warm inside and cold outside......one of my more "memorable" camping nights.lol!...jonny

I'm with bottomfeeder - the right sleeping bag can make all the difference. Don't be bashful about stripping down to your skin in a good bag - those cotton clothes hold a lot of water against your body, you're better off without them.

I sleep in quinzhees (snow igloos) with Boy Scouts in January and February. 0 degrees F was no problem, those igloos are warm. The right bag, a bivy sack, and a full length thermal sleeping pad were the key to comfort.

you guys are nuts! When we used to tent camp, one time it got down in the high 30's to low 40's and we went out a week or 2 later and bought an old motor home so we would'nt have to deal with it any more, plus it didn't help that our brand new cooler with all of our food got stolen in the middle of the night on the same trip! Now they would have to come in the camper and steal our fridge if they want some beer and hot dogs.

Dave

Hey Bottomfeeder, I have an old coleman stove if ya want it. It's the rectangle type maybe 12 inches deep, a 16 inches or so wide and 4 or 5 inches high. You know, the type that has two burners and uses coleman fuel, with the red fuel tank on the front. I have a decent propane one I use now, so I don't need it.

[email protected]