• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Truck for pulling 5th wheel and boat

Big Dave2

Now that I have decided that I probably want to eventually trade in my motorhome for a 5th wheel trailer, I have a question about the truck to pull this package.

Do you guys think that an f-250 with a 5.4v8 would be adiquite for this job? I am on a budget and would like to get no more than what I absolutely need.

I think that a half ton would not be heavy duty enough in the suspension, and that I would need a 3/4 ton.

I also have to drive this truck to work every day and would probably not like the lack of fuel efficiency of a v10, and I don't think I could afford a diesel.

Let me know what your thoughts are on this subject. I would be pulling a 25ft 5th wheel and a 16 ft boat w/a 50 hp motor.

Thanks,
Dave

------------------
Chevy, Lund, Yamaha, Fish trap, Strikemaster, Vexilar, Budweiser, did I forget anything?

You will not be happy with a 1/2 ton, period. I bought my 5er and tried to pull it with my 98 ram quad cab 5.2 (318 CID) I had the tow pkg and also had 4.10 gears installed and had one hell of a time pulling and maintaining a good speed. My camper weighs 6500lbs dry. I got crappy MPG with the dodge because of having to work it so hard to pull (7-10mpg) I then found a good deal on a 1990 F250 extended cab 2 wheel drive with the 460 in it. Pulled the camper great. My plan was to use it only for that. Than truck got 9 mpg pulling or running empty. Well getting my boat into the lake and back out was a pain in the butt with a 2 wd so I started shopping around for a 4X4 about the same age and put mine up for sale on hsolist, thought I would try that seeing as 2 WD get more money on there thatn here in MN. Low and behold I made 2k more than I had expected to so we went shopping for a truck what would cost 2k more than we were going to buy. I fell in love with our new truck 2000 F350 crew cab 4X4 V10 SRW. I cant complain about the mileage, i get 11-16 unloaded, and 9-12 pulling. With plenty of power to spare. I know that this was a bit winded but I just think back about what I could have saved if I would have bought what I needed to begin with.

I agree 1\2 tons are not for campers even thou they are used alot. But not for me. Last year I got a 3\4 ton Ford with 351C fuel inj. 4x4 and I just love pulling my tt with it, As far a the boat goes I just had a rack put on my pick-up and now my boat goes up there. And if my v-bottom is to hard to put up there, The wife said I can get a new jon boat that is lighter. Sooooo I been saying that my back really hurts and that boat looks real heavy. HA HA HA She said I don't have to do all that to get the jon boat but it is fun watching me try to convince her. But honestly I will try to put my v up there because I like useing it.

Catfish1
Keep setting that hook

Anyone have any opinions on the Cummins diesel? It looks like I could buy more truck for the money if I went with a dodge over the ford. I really like the ford super dutys but I am on a budget and I have to drive whatever I buy 60 miles a day round trip 4 days a week to work. I am surprised that you said you get up to 16mpg in your v10 01zr800. Almost all of the super dutys that I find in my price range have v10s. I would really like to have a diesel but not sure if I can afford a ford but many dodges seem to be in my price range.

------------------
Chevy, Lund, Yamaha, Fish trap, Strikemaster, Vexilar, Budweiser, did I forget anything?

BigDave2 I have a cummins in a 97-3500 It has 190,000 miles on it Does not use oil. Has as much power now as it did when I bought it. With the inline 6 you get alot of low rpm tork for pulling. Mpg pulling a 10K trailer loaded is 9-12. Empty every day driving 14-18. Cummins is solid. But!!! Dodge does't make a good transmission in my opinion. I'm on my 3rd 5sp manual. but I pulled alot of wieght. You would be better off with a auto. Cheaper to fix if you have a problem.One thing about Deisels is they are heavey. I would sugest getting a 4x4 because in sand or mud the front end will sink.

Will tryed to put my 15 ft v-bottom up on the pick-up and was able to put it up there by myself, With no trouble at all. But think I will buy a wench just to make things easier.
If I knew how to post a pic here could show you all what I got.

Catfish1

Well, its become pretty obvious on here that you get what you pay for.

Dodge is gonna have a very stout engine and I will always acknowledge that the Cummings is a great motor, but like was said, Dodge has yet to make a reliable transmission in the last 10 yrs.

A Ford has always been and will continue to be the gold standard for towing trucks. Most heavy truck drivers have brand loyalty, but if you're looking for the best its Ford. FOrd is starting to slip a little with their new vehicles, but that is not in your price range.

A 3/4 ton will be just fine for your application, but you'll find it costs very little to get a 1-ton and the ride quality is the same. They are nearly identical except for spring ratings. If you can get a diesel, DO IT! You will thank yourself. Not only will it pull like a son of a gun, but you'll still get 18-20 mpg unloaded.
In the case of the 5.4L V-8, that is the same engine in the 1/2 ton and will not handle the kind of towing you want to do. Even if you have the 4.10 gears option, you will still feel under-powered. Get tehe V-10 if you like feeding a hungry beast, or get the diesel for reliability and longevity with decent fuel mileage.

For more info about the Ford's, check out ftwtrucks.com (thats Ford truck world)

Just remember unless you put many miles on a diesel isn't worth having. The maintaniance is higher. Ever heard what a transfer pump or a injector pump costs? How about a oil change? I don't put enough miles o in a year to justify a diesel, you might. If you do by all means get the diesel you will be happy you did. As for the V10 I am happy with it it does all i need or want it to do. When buying a truck in the size that you are looking at one shouldn't be looking at MPG if you want MPG get a car and stay in a hotel. Hope to see a few of you camping this summer. Later.

Dodge has redesigned its transmissions since Bobcat's 97 and backs them up with a 70,000 mile warranty. People I have talked to have not had any problems with Dodge transmissions in the past few years. I highly recommend checking out a Cummins. They even have a new 600 series diesel that has more hp and more torque than the 5.9 HO.

I realize that owning a HD truck does not usually allow of considering MPG, but with gas prices approaching $2.00 you have to consider that.

No offense to zr800, but the comments you made about the diesel are the ones I always hear from people who know nothing about diesels. Yeah an injector pump costs alot of money, but I've never heard of one failing on a powerstroke or a cummings in the last 3 yrs. The turbodiesels nowadays are engineered to last 400K miles or more without a rebuild. Lets see your V-10 do that. Injectors don't even need to be replaced unless one fails. Yeah an oil change costs more, but they are only needed every 5k miles and a new fuel filter every 15K miles. Thats the regular maintenance of a diesel. And add fuel.

Not to mention, diesel fuel has a more stable price and doesn't jump 20 cents a gallon every weekend during the summer. Right now you would be saving almost 10 cents a gallon over unleaded and with a 29 gal. tank you're talking about a couple bucks here and there. If you don't think that adds up then you've got more money laying around then most of us.