• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pulling a 5th wheel and a boat

Big Dave2

My wife and I and our 3 yr old son love to go camping and fishing.
We started out with a tent then a bigger tent then a pop-up and now we have an old '76 dodge motor home.

My problem is that we still end up bringing a second vehicle along on camping trips because we dont want to be stuck once we get someplace. Once you set up the camper I would not want to tear it all down just to go to town and get ketchup or something.

I have been thinking about getting a 5th wheel camper so I could still pull my boat too. How big of a pain in the a$$ is it to pull both like that? Do you ever get yourself into a prediciment where you have to try and back up or turn around?

Also, what are the rules for pulling such a package? I have a 16' boat, not sure what the actual length of the whole boat motor and trailer is. What is the maximum length of 5th wheel trailer I can pull legally?

Just wondering what are peoples thoughts on doing this? I am by no means a truck driver but I grew up on a farm driving large machines, but this is a little different and seems a little intimidating. Maybe I would get used to it quickly.

If this works out it seems to be the perfect solution to the age old camping dillema. But I think there is no perfect solution.

Thanks for any input,
Dave

I pull a boat behind my fifthwheel without any probs. I also grew up on a farm and have no problems backing anything up. For some reason I am thinking that the total lenght of the truck trailer and boat can't exceed 72' but don't quote me on that one. I have a 01 ford f350 crewcab longbox pulling a 02 wildwood 27' fiver with a 14' lund in tow love the way it all tows and the fack that once set up we can still run to town if we have to.

I used to pull my 26ft fifth wheel and my 18 foot crestliner with no problems at all I now have a seasonal spot so no longer need to pull. I am pretty sure the legal length you can pull is 60 feet. I was at about 65 feet and never had any trouble.

I would be happy to share my towing experiences with you. I have been pulling a 24' with a chevy extended cab long box and a 17' prosport behind the 5th wheel. You are absolutely correct, there is no perfect world in camping. however, there are many options to consider. I have even seen a setup to pull a travel trailer (30') with a truck and the boat sits up on top of the truck, on it's own trailer.Of course these types of things take $$$$$'s.
Shoot me an email at [email protected] for phone no. and we can talk more if you like.
BTW. I am pulling at just about 72', but don't tell anyone!!!

Thanks for the helpfull info guys! I probably won't be getting a 5th wheel yet this year but I am exploring this option because I am going to be in the need for a new truck soon and I figured if I do it this way I need to go a little bigger on the truck. Currently I drive a '93 ford f-150 4x4 ext cab short box. I am thinking of getting a used F-250 ext cab 4x4 as I love that super duty style. I would like to get a diesel but I don't think I will be able to afford it.

I do think that this is the way I want to camp in the future though. I need to bring my boat along. Camping just isn't the same without her.

When I bought the old motor home I thought that would be the ticket but it just isn't all it's cracked up to be. I don't like being stuck somewhere when I get there, I don't like to always have to travel alone if my wife brings the other vehicle, plus being a '76 it is just not very comfy to drive on long trips. Also I worry about dependability on the road.

I think I might have made up my mind, just have to come up with the money to pay for it all now!

Thanks
Dave

[This message has been edited by Big Dave2 (edited 02-12-2004).]

Dave
It all depends on what state you are going to be pulling in what the length is that you are allowed. Ia,Mn,Ne,are 65ft,Sd is 75ft.I pull a 331/2 footer with a 16ft boat,but the trailer is 20ft from ball to tip of motor.I'am a little over but never been checked yet.I don't think they will bother you unless you driving like a nut or have an accident. Just my 2cents Jack