• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite campground?

Fishing Junky

Hey guys. I'm sittin' here bored out of my mind thinkin' about camping this summer. Just curious as to what is your favorite campground to camp at? Mine is Flour Lake campground on the Gunflint Trail. Very nice campground and quiet. Just curious. Junky.........

------------------
A fishing guide is just a fishing junky who takes others with him to support his habit.

One of my favorites for peace and quiet and good fishing is Cottonwood Campground just northeast of Deer River. Have been there @ half-dozen times and I am always the only one there. Primitive - only a pump for water and a permanent outhouse for 12 sites. Sits under the pines so soft sleeping but tends to get sap on the tent....near lots of great lakes for fishing. Campground is unstaffed so you have to leave your money in drop box.

Another one is at a resort near Hackensack MN - a lot less isolated but also great fishing and excellent site lakeside.

Daze Off

McCarthy Beach State Park. The campgrounds are so-so, (the rustic sites are better) but the beach is the best in the state. If you have kids that like to play in the water, they will never want to leave.

Try Fenske Lake off the Echo Trail north of Ely. It is a Nat'l Forest campground that has a limited number of sites. This is both good and bad since there won't be a lot of people, but it fills up quickly.

The lake isn't the best of fishing, but the the lake is beautiful The swimming beach is also very nice.

I agree the End of the Trail is a fabulous place. I also like the Iron Lake campground that is 10 miles before the end. It has only seven sites and it’s kind of hidden. I love the Gunflint Trail, there are so many beautiful lakes to fish and walking trails / roads to grouse hunt. I think that entire area is just great. As far as our State Parks, I consider Kathio to be one of the best.

End of the Trail is definitly a nice campground. I have reservations there for early August. Hard to get in that place unless you tent camp. Been to Iron one time also. Nice little sites. Wasn't to fond of the lake access though. All good choices though. Junky........

I like Trails End except for it being managed by Way of the Wilderness outfitters. WOW has always been tough to deal with. It always seems that the nice staff members are only the temp help.

We have gone to E. Bearskin campground and I like that one alot. Pretty quiet for a big campground and lots of lakeshore sites.

Good question Roy. I've stayed there twice and never walked down by the lake to check it out. I've always trailered my boat to Sag for day trips, so it has always been on the trailer. I bet one of the other guys will help ya on this one. Junky...........

BTW, my favorite state park campsite is Judge C.R. Magney up on the north shore. Great trout fishing on the river there. Kids sit out there all day catching and releasing browns and rainbows. which actually brings up a question. Do kids need trout stamps? I know I can find out with a quick search, but I am lazy. If no one knows off the top of their heads, I'll probably look it up.

There are several campgrounds that I enjoy, Stony Point on Leech Lake, Deer Lake and West Seeleye on Cut Foot, Wooden Frog on Kabetogama and McCarthy State Park on Side Lake.

Ole

Favorite state park for camping is Scenic State Park by Big Fork. Some real nice trails and lots of good hunting in the fall. Stay there ever october for a week. Favorite foresty campground is Lake Jeannette on the Echo trail out of Byck, east of Echo Lake. Rustic only about 12 sites with hand pump a pits. Very picturesque lake. Lots of big boulders.

I've enjoyed Scenic and Bearhead Lake SPs. We're going to stay at O-ne-gu-me Nat'l Forest campground in June - anyone stayed there? Picked it because it seemed like a convenient place for fishing and had reservations. Do all those NF campgrounds on Cut Foot Sioux/Winnie fill up most weekends? Thanks.