• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

duluth camping

tonka

There's a lot to choose from up there.

We've stayed at Spirit Mountain Campground which was nice and close to town.

Lots of choices up the scenic drive. Knife River Campground stands out as a nice one on that route.

Up in Two Harbors check out Burlington Bay Campground, real nice as well.

Also check out some of the Forest Service campgrounds in the area for a little more privacy.

While Gooseberry etc. are nice, you're getting a little too far north of Duluth (if that's where you're going to be hiking) and would spend a lot of time in the car instead of the woods. If that's not a concern, check out Tettegouche a little further up, some of the nicest trails around.

Hope this helps. Have a good time!!

This is a tough time to get in anywhere unless you made reservations a couple months ago. The Two Harbors campground may have something. There's a couple private, small campgrounds along the old highway from Duluth to Two Harbors. You could probably locate them on the Duluth or TH Web sites.

I concur that it may be tough to find a spot without a reservation. If it is tough you might try going a little further north on 61, go west on Highway 1, which is just a couple miles north of Tettegouche and check out the forest service campgrounds up that way. There are a couple up there, the closest being about 3 miles west of 61, off of 1. Check out the DNR HSOforum for more info.

Hope this helps!

[This message has been edited by Slothin'02 (edited 09-03-2003).]

thanks for all the info. all the state parks were booked but i found a place called big blaze campground so i will let you know how it is. the site i got is a lake view so it can't be too bad, i hope.

we had awesome weather this past weekend and the campground was pretty nice too. they have sites right on the lake with fire pits on the "beach" ten feet from the water. gooseberry falls was just barely trickling, they need some water up there.