• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

50hp Merc problems

Question

Fishing this weekend and had a little problem.

Ran to our fishing spot killed the motor while in gear and now it seems to be locked up. The pull cord won't budge. We figure it is locked in forward gear somehow. I can move the shifter into neutral and reverse and the prop responds accordingly.
Anybody have any ideas or know where I can bring it in? I live in Lino.

Thx,

Mike

5 answers to this question

On most of the motors, there is a simple mechanical lever that connects from the shifter to the rope coil to keep you from pulling the cord unless the engine is in nuetral. Take the cover off and make sure that this device is operating properly.

ST is correct, try to put it back in gear and turn throttle to stop or no throttle.
Some have a mechanism that won't let you pull or restart unless is in neutral, sometimes its gets stuck.

ST was correct.

The pin that holds the throttle cable to the pully had come out. It was sitting in the bottom of the electric starter holder. all is well.

I got to thinking, since this has an electric starter motor holder do any of oyu know where I can go to get one installed??

Thx

------------------
If the women don't find you handsom, they should at least find you handy.