• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Camping with bears

This spring we were camping in the Voyaguers National Park and we had a bear come through the camp and destroy our screen tent. The bear didn't get any food items thanks to the bear locker. On previous trips we always left the screen tent open during the day so that a bear could just walk right through but we didn't this time. After the ransacking we put the screen tent up as well as we could and left the doors open and left a radio on to a talk station. Here is the question that I'd like to put out there; Do you think that leaving the radio on tuned into a talk station could keep bears away to a certain extent? I know there are bears in that park that aren't afraid of people at all but I wonder if it works for the others? We never had another visit during the last three days of our trip. By the way the bear was a sow with three cubs. She we saw her hanging out within 100 yards of our campsite twice after her inital visit.

Ted Nuggent works better smile.gif

A radio would probably keep most bears away but don't think it would stop a determined bear.
A camp with no food scraps and the bear proof food container helps. Maybe a scent deterrent like moth balls might work.

Irvingdog,

The only talk station you can get up the is Canadian Public Radio and it's anything but conservative.

I hadn't thought about the political affiliations of bears angle before but this could be a factor. Since we had been drinking Labatts beer that week we did wonder at first if it was that bear from the TV comercials.

Chucky C