• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pickup camper or pull behind camper?

BLACKJACK

Been doing the tenting thing for years and now my wife and I are thinking about upgrading to a camper. What do you guys like better, a pickup camper or a pull behind type? If we got a pull type it would be a smaller one, but still wonder how hard they pull? On the other hand I wonder how hard it is to take the pickup camper on and off, I hate to tie up my pickup all summer... And will a half ton truck handle a camper or would I have to upgrade to a 3/4 ton? Another complication is our two labs, we take them camping and the wife says they're NOT going in the camper, so if its a pull behind camper, we could keep them in the topper, if its a pickup camper I was thinking a small trailer behind. She doesn't know it yet, but I'm thinking that a trip or two to NoDak duck hunting would be in order!!

Your thoughts and pros and cons of each are appreciated!

We are in the same boat. Almost bought a pop-up camper this year but decided we're going to keep tenting it. If I were to but it would definitly be a pull behind. That way once your at the campsite you can do some traveling and not have to pick up everything.

just my 2 cents

Pickup camper for me so I can pull my boat. I can take mine off in 15 min. If your not pulling a boat then the trailers are nice. Most 1/2 ton trucks can handle a 8ft pickup camper as long as the springs are good. Good shocks are a must to take the sway out of a top heavy rig. Dogs go in creates inside the camper when were on the road.

ST, did you get the pickup type that pops up or is it full size? Did you have to replace your shocks or were the standard ones ok? Any other options that you have that you'd recommend? AC? The dog crates inside the camper sounds like a good idea!

Thanks for the info!

My father used a starcrft tent trailer for many years. Pulled very easy. For long trips he kept a 10horse motor inside of it, and rented a boat from the campgrounds (much cheaper that way). For short trips we would put the 12'er on top of the camper.

I have a truck camper and pull my boat. It all depends on what you want to do. Lancer has some great campers for 1/2 ton trucks. As long as the ground is level, there is no problem with taking the camper off the truck.

Both have there upsides & downsides but remember the golden rule: If mama aint happy, aint nobody happy !! so inviter her along when looking for the next TOY.

Blackjack I would keep the original shocks on as long as they're good. Ive used a popup and regular slide-ins. Popups buck less wind and usually opens up with windows all the way around, kinda nice. Full higth campers seem to have more cabinet space and its nice not to have to lift it up. Im cheap so I buy what ever I find thats in good shape. smile.gif

Heres some things to check when buying a camper.
Look for leaky roofs and leaks around the windows and trim. If you walk in the door and smells moldy Beware.

Look to see if the jacks are good. A new set can cost as much as the camper.
Check the furnace and frig too.
Have the seller fill the water tank up and check for leaks and the plumbing works.

For maintanenceI go on the roof and scrape off loose caulk and coatings from the seams and roof vent. Then put the Elastomatic on the seams and vent flashing. I caulk aroung the windows and seam of the exterior walls too.

My personal opinion is I would shy away from pick-up campers unless you get the bigger ones like the 10-11' they have more room. the problem is you will need a bigger truck to haul it. I don't know if you have kids or plan on having any, but a slide in camper can get awfully cramped inside with kids or even dogs for that matter. I was in a similar situation couple of years ago, I have z71 1/2 ton and wandered what to do so I could pull my boat also. I ended up going with a 23' lite model fifth wheel under 5,000 dry weight and I can pull my boat behind it. You need to check in to what your truck will pull my truck is rated for 7,000 lbs. and I'm under that with both boat and trailer. One more thing on slide in campers my neighbor has an 8' Lance with three kids and I don't honestly know how he does it. I hope this helps you.

If you don't have kids I would definitely recommend a pick-up camper.
I have a 6' (pop up) PU camper in my F150 and I pull my 17' boat just fine. I had to add bolt-on springs over the factory leaf springs for stability. It was $200 well spent! I would prefer this over the air bags or adding another leaf spring any day.

This camper set-up is an awesome tool for hunting too! I take several duck/goose hunting trips in the fall and the camper goes everywhere the truck goes...even into remote fields if we are hunting specific fields for a weekend. A Mr. Buddy heater with a long hose and 20lb propane tank keeps the camper really toasty too. The buddy heater is way better than the old forced air furnace in the camper!

CD where did you get those bolt ons? I also have a 6 ft pop-up on a 1500 chev. It rides good now but it could ride better. I have been looking at the air ones. I have a lite camper it's only 1000lbs.

I bought a set of single leaf add ons at farm and fleet here in s wi.They were about 30 bucks, easy to put on, 1/2 hour at most. At that time I had a 98 f150 with the heavier 6600Lb. gvw. I have a sunlite truck camper with soft sides, so the weights not so bad. But before the added spring when loaded and towing the boat the trucks lights were shining up in the trees. Ken

Thanks for the info guys! My wife has agreed that we should goto a couple of camping shows this winter to see what the options are. I haven't told her about the possibility of using it for hunting trips yet....

The wife and I have had tents, pop-up pull campers, Small pull campers, 24 foot pull campers, 21 foot 5th wheel and couple different pick-up campers. Pulled or hailed them all with 1/2 ton pick-ups. Each one of them has there own good and bad things about them. Pick-up campers you can pull a boat behind but to put the boat in or out you move the camper. Pull campers have more room but it takes another car to pull the boat. A 5th wheel trailer you can pull a boat behind. and it frees up the pick-up. Right now we have a 24 foot prowler pull trailer and pull it with a 92 3/4 ton ford with a 5 speed manuel tranny and a 351 fuel inj motor and when we get on the interstate . we run about 70 to 75 mph. The only down side is that we have to use our van to pull the boat. So are next camper will be a 5th wheel. But I also have a topper on the pick-up and I put a 10 foot jon boat up there. Just in case I do not want to take the bigger boat along. So when deciding on the kind of camper it all depends on what you do when you get there and what it takes to do it. Good luck looking and buy in the off season. Winter sells are great and saves you money.

Catfish1

Pan head you out there> I just got back from farm and fleet in Rice Lake. You wouldn't happen to have a name off those springs or some thing I can refer to . Thanks for any help. Good luck.

I have a pickup type camper but thinking on moving up to a travel trailer. After camping for 8 days with wife, 2 kids and 2 dogs Its just to small.

Now for the next question.
Wondering on the value. I have a 86 K 9 foot pickup camer with furnace, fridge, toilet, fresh and black water tank. Sitting on a 97 dodge pickup 2x4 reg cab with 165000 miles on the truck. I would sell as package deal, due to having 4x4 pickup also.

last but not least, I love my set up, but of course, the wife thinks its to samll and wants a travel trailer. and as the saying goes. The wife aint happy...aint no one happy.

Stop by a RV dealer and look at the campers. You can see a lot of diferent sizes.

Then look at your vehicle towing capcity. Mini vans can handle most of the popups. A pickup I would assume could handle any of them.

Travel trailers would likley require a truck.

There are hybird models that are like a small trailer and the beds fold out the end like a pop up.

We use a small popup. The thing I dont like is that when the table is converted to a bed is blocks access to the slide out bed. So the kids in the slide out have to crawl over the table/bed.

There are larger popups with isles that eliminate that problem. Some of the newer popups have slide outs like the 5th wheels.

Many pop ups are hardly used and you can find some that are like new for a lot cheaper than new. If you start looking early you can run across a good deal.

There are several sites for RVers. Put Popup explorer into a search engine. Also Trailer Life. These site are devoted to RVers and can answer many of your questions.

I should add that many popups have an awning or one can be added. the awning can also have screen walls so the you can have a place to eat free from the bugs.

[This message has been edited by Justfishing (edited 08-19-2003).]

Spin Dry-
I bought the bolt-on overload springs at a truck accessory store. I also found some at a welding business. You should be able to find them quite easily at these locations.

I believe "Rancho" manufactured the one's I own and they work great. They were $200 for the set and very easy to install. They really help the ride with my ATV (and other heavy loads) in the back also.

Thanks CD. I just bought some at Bumper to Bumper. I 'm planning on putting them on tomorrow{hoping the heat wave breaks}. They look like they just clamp on and you add a ribet for how much extra weigh you need. Good luck. Thanks again

I know, I know.....I'm late! My opinion? I've had em both and both are a pain in the XXX. I would get a small winnie. A brave or some equivilent. One that has it all built into one drivable unit. There is more room(like the 10/11 footers mentioned),it's always ready to go, boats,atv's,snowmachines etc. can all be pulled along. I've seen several of these types of RV's for sale this summer for very reasonable prices, all under $4,000 which is close to the price of a good pull-behind or a truck camper. You still have to have a place to park it, same as with the others, but it makes a great place to get away from the (?????????).

Boy I missed the boat on this topic. But I will give my opinion, I am young by many standards 31, I have had all typs of campers. My Wife (of 10 years) and i started out in a tent 2X's decided that the gound was way to low so we bought a old 78 coachman pop up camper and loved it so we upgraded to a newer 97 palimino pop up w/ A.C. loved it had it 4 yrs then we bought the caddy of popups a coleman bayside with a slide out and A.C. well we then upgraded our truck to a 1/2 ton and bought a 27' travel trailer without the slide, we realy missed the slide so we were ut shopping for one with a slide and found a fifthwheel that we liked and the dealer told us that we would be able to pull it so we bought it. 1/2 ton didn't cut it so we bought a cheap 2000.00 3/4 ton ford and used that untill we could afford a newer truck we now can't go much bigger we bought a 1 ton crew cab and love it. I guess what I am trying to say is 1st and formost make sure that your truck can pull it, don't trust the dealers. I now an able to pull the camper and the boat and I look forward to camping every year. If anyone wants to get togather this summer and do some camping drop me a line.

NEVER NEVER trust the camper dealers, I started with the tent,back of topper,8ft slide in, 9 1/2 slide in, now I have a 11 ft slilde in, I had to upgrade my truck from a 1 ton to a 1 ton dually because the dealer told me the truck could handle it. Make sure you know before you buy.

Agree with Big Roy! Never believe a camper dealer!
I have a 8' PU camper and love it now that I have THE most conducive to load/unload system there is. I can load & unload my slide-in camper in less than 10 minutes. No kidding! And that is by myself!
Trick is the lift system. I bought this lift from a dealer that makes them in Montana. It runs off 12 volt and uses only 3 toggle switches that activate the 3 ball-screw drives. This system is a one-piece bolt-on to your camper's sills on both sides. Believe me, this IS THE easiest & safest(BIG) slide-in system out there. It IS amazing how easy this is. No jumping from corner to corner to level when off-loading is a big key here! You just stand in one place at the toggle controls and let your fingers(not arms and back) do the work! smile.gif
Also a big factor here with slide-in campers is never have a PU truck LESS THAN a 3/4 ton for ANY slide-in camper. 1 ton PU is best for the larger/heavier but the pop-up slide-ins only need a 3/4 ton truck.

"Lund-Man"

------------------
"Leave NO Trace"

[This message has been edited by LUND-MAN (edited 01-09-2004).]

Remember one thing when adding overload springs of any kind. Your truck was not designed to haul more than the specs call for or they would have built it stronger to begin with. Adding extra suspension so you can haul more weight just puts more stress in other places, transmission, rear end, brakes. Get the right vehicle to do it right, you'll be glad you did. Just something to be aware of.