• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What to sleep on??

I have a Greatland (Target brand) roll-up selfinflating thingy that I like. It's light enough for backpacking too, if I'm not hiking so far that the weight isn't worth it any more. That distance has an inverse ratio to my age.

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

I like my Thermorest. In the past, my air mattress would deflate overnight, suddenly spring a leak, or, I'd ed up sliding off the thing and sleep on the ground anyway. Talk about a dore back! wink.gif

I've been using two Thermarests latety, one does a pretty good job, but if the Mrs. doesn't join me I'll double my comfort and stack the two.
If you plan on camping in cold weather, stay away from airbeds, they provide no insulation from the cold ground. That is the one of the main reasons I use the open cell foam pads. Half my camping is on frozen ground.
I havn't joined the cot crowd yet, not enough room in my tent. But I did sleep on a cot/thermarest combo for 4 nights on a icefishing trip. Plenty comfy for a nights rest.

got tired of the lumps and bumps of the sleeping on the ground thing.....finally invested in a "slumberjack" king sized cot...she's a beauty...lol...then I add my cabella's rubberized air mattress...sleep like a baby.....JON

I have been camping and backpacking for 30 years and it all depends on your budget and your transportation to your campsite. For backpacking and portaging I recomend a 3/4 length thermarest. If space and weight is not a problem get the biggest and widest thermarest that you can afford. Air matresses are the most comfortable if you don't spring a leak and they keep you off the ground high enough to stay dry in the event your tent has a pin hole in it and it's raining cats and dogs. Cots are bulky and they are really comfortable if they are teamed up with a thermarest but the feet of the cot will wear holes in your tent floor. I just purchased cabellas thickest and widest self inflating matress and I will be using it at scout camp for a week in august, can't wait to try it out. Ken

I like the thermorest too.
Ive used the queen size airmattress. It was my cuz's mattress and had a slow leak. My tent was 3 man so we shared the mattress. At the time he out wieghed me so when the mattress got low on air he was bottomed out on the ground and I was still floatin on air. smile.gif He even blew it back up for the seconds night sleep. smile.gif

I used to use a thermarest in the summer and the closed cell foam pads in the winter. Last year I picked up an insulated air mattress from Galyans. It's five inches wider than most pads and an inch and a half thick. This seems to work well for summer and winter. No noticable heat loss in the winter. Kind of bulky but it sure is comfy.

------------------
Erik

I got the Slumberjack roll up for $50 I believe at Gaylans last year. 1 1/2" at the top 1/2" on the bottom. So far so good, but yeah the Thermorests are da bomb, but spendy