• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whats Your Favorite Camp Ground?

Maryjl

Lets share some info on our favorite camp grounds. Have you ever looked at a flyer from a camp ground and thought that looks like a really fun place to go and after getting there it really was not like the flyer made it look? I've had that happen a couple of times.
My favorite campground of course is Best Point outside of Waterville. I like it because it is small and the people that run it are just the best. The rates are very reasonable also. The best part is the access to the Lake. Its right there you don't have to walk a mile to get to your boat. You don't have to cross a highway or walk down a steep hill unless you camp on top of the hill that is. Whats your favorite campground and why?

My favorite would have to be Father Hennepin St. Park on the south side of Mille Lacs. It is right on the lake, some of the sites have a lake view. Its wooded and you aren't stacked right on top of each other. There is a ramp in the park.

Wow, I've lived in the same neck of the woods all my life and have never heard of best point. I will have to check that one out.

My fav's are any St. Park on the North shore, just for the location. It's my dream to be a resident there, but for now it's just a dream.

for small lake camping.... I have a couple favorite camping spots up here in northern Itasca county(Mn)....Bear lake and Larson lake camp grounds (both state campgrounds)....not a lot of ammenities...just more rustic ....Larson is a trout lake ,crystal clear water....rainbows and splake (state record splake taken here) ....just a great body of water nestled in the big pines....the other is Bear lake ......crappies ,walleyes and ability to bring your canoe or boat right up to your tent or camper(I do the tent thing) ....of course many others but these 2 have a special place for me through the years....jon

My most favorite is in Ontario by Kenora. Rushing River provincial park. My hubby started going there when he was about 10. The only place my teen girls will go. It is the most awesome place in the world. Fantastic beach, rock, Pine trees, rapids, walking trails, the list goes on and on.

------------------
****riverdancer****

for fishing other than at my cabin i love camping at the small lakes in Chippewa nat'l forest. There's a little island on pughole lake that i have spent many memorable fishing openers on.

Bobb-O and sixmilejon,
I am trying to get up to the Cass/Turtle/Kitchi area this fall on the cheap and camping would be the way to do it.

Where is this pughole island / campground?
(I am familiar with Pike Hole Resort on the Turtle River if you can use that as a ref point for directions.)

Thanks,
Gene

gene......your best bet on that info would probably be Bobb-o....I can't remember a campground of any type there on Pughole....wayside rest thing maybe.....but no state or federal camping facilities to my recollection...there's a few islands on the lake...not sure which one's would be good for the camping thing....i remember the lake's shallow.....panfish primarily....maybe 150 acres... here's some info on pughole lake......thanks jon http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/showreport.html?downum=31060200

The island is actually a peninsula on the northern part of pughole right before little pughole lake. It is a great little place. The only thing you need to get to it is a boat, as where the peninsula is connected to land is all swampy. Pughole lake is right off of hwy 38. out of Grand Rapids. There is great northern pike fishing in the lake, and you can also get some nice sized crappies/sunfish. any more questions email me at [email protected]

PW
You really should stop in. It is the most incredible place. They also have great boat launches and beautiful docks. Not to mention the fantastic fishing though you do need to know your way around. There are some awfully large rocks around that are not marked but once you know where they are it's a pieace of cake.

------------------
****riverdancer****

Primitive - but absolutely magnificent!
As you approach the less populiar rim (N or S?) of the Grand Canyon, there is a little national forest tent ground that the locals can tell you about at a store or whatever. It's RIGHT ON THE RIM!!!! The view out of your tentflap is the canyon gradually changing into plains in the distance. Man.

Oh yeah, it's free.

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

Favorite campground in MN: Free, non-maintained FS campground at Eighteen Lake.

Favorite campground outside MN: It's a tie...Black Fox Campground, Black Hills, SD and Circle Park Campground, Bighorn Mtns, WY

My favorite campgrounds are really camp sites, not developed camp grounds....National Forest or National Grassland, find your spot, drop your gear and you're camping--and, if you're careful, there are never any other people around.

Anywhere along the Little Greys River above Alpine (Star Valley), Wyoming, just before it runs into the Big Greys and the Snake River. Towering cliffs, lodgepole pine, brookies up the ying-yang, coyotes and wolves howling at night, elk bugling. It just doesn't get any better than when you are fishing there after you've already harvested your elk and dozens of road hunters drive by jealously. That's what nearly all of the last 20 Octobers have been like for me. Ahhhh. I can hardly wait.

Kevin