• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite Equipment

MNice

Mine has to be the "green monster" better known as the Coleman white gas stove. In preparation for the coming weekend, I fired up the stove after its hibernation, thinking it may take some cleaning. As usual, it fired up and burned blue after about 2 minutes. I wish everything would be a reliable as the Coleman white gas products.

I NEVER bring a hatchet any more. I've been told by people who do emergency medical extractions that an overwhelming percentage of the people they pull out of the BWCA are due to injuries with an axe or hatchet. Granted there is no substitute for good habits, practice and awareness, but I've not found a need to ever chop down a tree (illegal) or split wood while remote camping. A good quality saw will do anything an axe will do with the exception of splitting wood (is that REALLY that important while camping?) save a ton of wieght and is much, much safer. I just cut up a bigger pile of smaller diameter branches. You can't burn that much while in the BWCA lately anyhow.
Sorry to "Soap-box" about your favorite camping device, Aquaman01, but if I can't get emergency medical help quickly, I take greater care to avoid needing it.

[This message has been edited by irvingdog (edited 06-26-2003).]

My favorite camping equipment was my 18 year old $3.99 hammock. This year, it finally broke...after I ws in it for 15 minutes. What a way to wake up!

I'll second the old green Coleman model 425F whitegas stove. I have used it for the last 16 years (and 20 some trips) in the BWCA! Anybody know where I can buy a new generator and pump for it?

[This message has been edited by MT Net (edited 06-26-2003).]

MT, do a search for old coleman parts and you may come up with a great HSOforum. I have one bookmarked, but I beleive it would be an unauthorized link.

I've seen that link posted here before. I believe it would be alright, but since this forum has no moderator, just e-mail Rick from the main page and double check with him.

The links rule is to prevent unauthorized advertising, member-solicitation and objectionable content.

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

I have to second the folding camp saw and add the princeton tec headlamp. Last October in the BWCA we did it without gas lamps. Never missed them. And not having them with cut about 10-15 lbs weight (lanterns, gas, carrying cases, etc.)

mm

Thanks for the link. I appriciate it. A lot of history in that old stove, many fish were fried. Still works, (needs a little work) so I don't feel I need to throw it away and buy a new one.

Thanks again.

I've always said that there are three things that will make a camping trip much more enjoyable.

1. A nice self inflating oversized sleeping pad like the Thermarest Camprest.

2. A comfortable camp chair

3. A headlamp

These might be luxuries in your camp, but they are nessessaties in mine.

I got to agree with you Duffman. The headlamp is awesome. I've been using one for the past ten years. I love it. They also make great gifts for people. I bought a petzl that uses this most unusual battery. Now they have an option for three double aa instead of this big, flat, hard to find 4.5 volt.
I try to go light when I can, most of my trips are in the BWCA. But I still bring the old Coleman stove. I tried the little stoves, which are fine for some trips, but I like to eat well. The two burner is great. Plus, you can usually find an old one at a garage sale pretty cheap.
The other thing I find to be a favorite of mine is a bivy sack. If I'm by myself in the winter, I don't need to mess with a tent. Just put the pad and sleeping bag in the sack and your done. It adds a few degrees of warmth to the set up as well.
This forum is great. I think I'm going to get some good ideas from you folks to try. After camping with the same people for a long time, you tend to get set in your ways and forget to try new ideas from new people.
Thanks

------------------
Erik

Before the tentcamper, Rubbermaid containers were indispensable. The leftover from those days is a large plastic toolbox that serves as a portable kitchen drawer. With the tent camper, I never leave home without a garden rake. I use it to grind away enough gravel to level the rig rather than carry a box of boards or whatever.