• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Aluminum boat repair

Tonka Boy

Question

Hey guys/gals,

I know this topic has been dicussed before, but can anyone tell me what to use to seal an aluminum boat? I have an older 12' boat that is leaking through the rivets. I did read the previous post about rivet replacement, but I also remember someone mentioning something about a silicone(or something similar)product that can be applied by paintbrush. Thanks for your help.

------------------
Tonka Boy

[This message has been edited by Tonka Boy (edited 05-13-2003).]

5 answers to this question

I used a cheaper version of jb weld marine on my 12 footer, and it works just fine. Was a tube for about 5 bucks at the hardware. Make sure you get the marine kind. JB weld marine is only a couple bucks more.

I am meeting with a guy this weekend that has a liquid rubber product. I have talked to him about leaky boats and we are going to discuss whether this product can be used for the leaky boat application,and if it will work on aluminum boats. I am trying to get him to use my duck boat as a guinea pig. If this product works and if it seems to be a simple application, I will let you all know. Maybe send a sample to Rick for testing.

Later Danny

Sounds like this liquid rubber might work, the only drawback is it gets sticky in hot weather. So if you put it on the inside of your boat you may have to put down floor to cover up the product. Cold weather is no problem keeps it's elasticity up to 65 below. Have to get my little duck boat out of storage this summer and the guy is going to give me a sample to try on the bottom of my boat.

keep you posted.....