• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

digital camera brands

I have been think of buying a digital camera. Probably at least a 3 mp. There are so many brands out there. Wondering what your opinions on lesser brand names. They seem less expensive in some ways, but is the quality there? Some examples are HP, Fuji, Gateway. Is the kodak camera any good? Any advice would be helpful in my hunt for a digital camera.

I have a Kodak 3.1 megapixel and I love it. I got it as a gift about 4 years ago so I suppose it is a little outdated by now. It is hte only digital camera I have ever used so I am not familiar with any others. It is the greatest thing I have added to my boat since a trolling motor. You can take as many pics as you want and let the fish swim away in minutes. Then if you do not like any of the pics you erase them and take a new one. No wasted pics and wasted money. good luck ff

I have the Kodak 3.1 mp camera as well. I believe it is the model 6330. I haven't had any problems with it and it takes a very good picture. I wouldn't ever go back to the 35mm after using digital. No more wasted film on bad pictures and you can take as many as you want and just develop the pictures that you want. I was told when I bought mine that a 3 mp was good for pictures up to 8x10 and I didn't see the need for anything bigger. I have a few pictures that I have made into 8x10 and they look very good.

I will also give thumbs up to the Kodaks, we use a DX6490, 4 mega pixel, 10x zoom, takes great pictures and some pretty decent video clips. Nice thing is with the Kodaks, they have the ability to download and recharge in the stands if you buy them ( the DX6940 comes with it as a standard feature ), very nice and they go quite a while on the batteries too.

There are alot of good digital cameras out there, I am just more framiliar with the kodaks than anything else.

Good luck........

Mike

i'm going to throw in the canons they are great camras they have features you won't see on kodaks and for the price you really can't beat the image quality search around before you buy and you will see i'd stay with the pocket sized camras don't go off spending a g on a camra that doesnt have lens options

mopho

I purchased a fugi s5000 /3.2 megapixel(6 megapixel in RAW mode) about a year ago(for $350.00)...i love it!...one of the first to hit the market with a 10x(zoom) optical lens(which is important...the higher number lens is what one looks for rather then have the zoom done electronically)(22x with interpolation)...crystal clear pics that can be blown up to 8"x10' and not loose any clarity...also bought an "xd 128 mb card to go with it)all the photos that i've posted are from this camera...i also use a kodak dx3500 (my first digital but very little zoom capabilities) it also takes gret pics..great colors...there's some great digital cameras out there....quality changes from month to month just like computers...jonny

I just picked up the Cannon A95. Its 5.0 magapixels and has lots of nice options. Its a pocket sized camera but you can purchase other lenses..such as wide angle. It also has a mode that allows you to take very nice pamaramic (sp?) photos...360 degrees if you want. Its worth checking out. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the replys. Dobber, I think the water resistant feature is something I may need to look into since many of my pictures are outdoors. Not sure how much I am willing to spend. Prices in excess of $300 seem a bit expensive at this time.Hopefully prices will begin to fall like dvds did.

i've taken my a70 out in the rain and never had problems cannon also makes a underwater case for the a series makes it water proof to 50' might be somthing to lookinto if you think you will have that much problem

If I were buying a new digital camera for outdoor use, I would seriously consider getting one of the Olympus Water-Resistant models. I took my Kodak with me on a weekend fishing trip and the viewfinder got all fogged up and it never did work right again after that trip.