• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hemi, Anyone have one?

minneman

Question

11 answers to this question

My friend's dad just recently got one. Nice truck, i must admit (I am personally a chev guy). Has great power, really can take off. But the gas mileage sucks, literally. He figures 13mpg. Thats worse than I get in my 94 Chev 350, without direct port injection. Although the Dodge has about a 100 more HP than mine (crazy). There are a lot of powerful new trucks out there, and I've heard the new GM trucks do pretty well in the mileage to power department. But if you don't mind paying more at the pump, and want to get asked it "that thing got a Hemi?" while beating most average cars at the stop light, go for it.

I sell alot of dodge Hemi's. Every one that I have sold, my customers have absolutely loved. I pull a 19 1/2 foot Ranger w/ 175 merc. and I have pulled it with many vehicles and the Ram Hemi is the best gas truck I have ever pulled with. My number is 1-800-373-8282 my name is Cory. You will not buy one anywhere cheaper than me. I will deliver it anywhere. Get back to me on my number or at [email protected] with your questions. I have 150 rams here. Thank you

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 05-16-2003).]

Go with the DIESEL engine and 6 speed manual if you plan to pull with many trips. You may use it at the launch someday a Chevy or Ford gets into trouble...just hook-up to 'em and pull the truck, boat, and trailer out together. %#$@ Happens...

I have a 2002 Ram Quad-cab diesel and LOVE IT grin.gifgrin.gif

20-22 MPG works for me!! grin.gif

"LUND-MAN

------------------
"Leave NO Trace"

Gotta agree with Lund-Man. I have a 2001 diesel Ram with the six speed, and I love it. When that turbo starts to build the boost, she really takes off. I have towed through the rockies several times and she pulls those passes with ease.

I will probably never go back to a gasser.

yea, but the wife will not learn how to use the man trans. I have a man trans now and she refuzes to even try, gotta go auto, (the family vehicle). I tow a 16' tool trailer and a 22'alum. I/O, and maybe twice a year tow a bobcat that I rent, so towing is needed, but not an every day thing.

Partner pulled up Monday morning with a brand new "HEMI" with his Yar Craft with a Yamaha 200 hp 4 stroke in tow.
We headed to Thunder Bay for business and then over to Lake of the Woods and Red lake.
I was impressed with the power espescialy when passing with a boat in tow.
He is considering a saddle tank though...

Good Luck...

well those hemis are nice but i still like my 2001 Ram better, Im not a fan of how they changed the body, yet, and with a supercharger, shift kit and tubular exhaust I still beat the hemis (and those stupid rice burners that sound like theyre a **** piped two stroke) off the line, still get respectable mileage about 14mpg wheather im empty or pullin a 32' enclosed trailer.
I like the 360's and will stick with mine for a couple more years. When the ford tritons first came out i rushed out to buy one and it was my worst mistake, that stupid truck spent more time in the dealership than in my driveway. I am a ford fan but I must say Ive been much happier since I got my Dodge.

I forgot, one key item, this is with a trailer:
55Mph = 15 MPG
60Mph = 14 MPG
65Mph = 13 MPG
75Mph = 10 MPG
80MPH = 8-9 MPG

Ttheese are from recent trips, I have recently started logging my mileage and setting my cruise so i dont exceed the speed that i set for that trip.

The 75 - 80 MPH tests were done in South Dakota where the legal speed limit is 75MPH on the interstates, for no reason other than testing RPM/Speed/Gear Ratio and mileage do i promote speeding or towing at theese speeds.

I find that the best speed has been 60MPH, O/D off, I have plenty of power, wind noise is not a factor, and I feel its safer.

I see alot of theese a++ holes drivin thier new trucks or suburbans goin 75 - 85 MPH with a 20' 2400 pound boat in tow, I dont feel that it is safe for them or others on the road and then the whine about thier mileage. Slow down, respect the speed limit and respect the "safe" speed at which you can travel with the load you may be presently hauling at that given time.

The faster you go the more air your pushing and the coefficient of drag is increased, so trucks with a large frontal area are effected greatly by this inefficiency. Your mileage will be affected, the transmission, coolant and oil temps will be higher, your trailer bearings will get hotter (remember that for every time your tire revolves on the tow vehicle, the trailer tire spins 2 to 3 times effectively increasing the axle rpm.)

Heres a fact many forget,
50miles @75MPH=40min @60MPH=49min
100 miles @75MPH=1hr20min @60MPH=1hr38min

So is it worth it to drive 15MPH faster, not really when you figure gas mileage and saftey. Because if you end up goin to the hospital because of an accident, or gettin towed because you detonated your transmission, I'll still beat you to the lakes and will be able to enjoy it because i did it the safe way and saved money to boot.

------------------
The Warrior is back, and he's packin a new grill.

My daughter, the unmarried doctor, has a Dodge 2500,4X4, tow package,extended cab and long box,Cummins diesel with a stick. She says, around town, highway, loaded, empty, or towing a 4 horse trailer, she gets 17 mpg. And its got enough power to pull stumps.She's a vet specializing in horses, so she has put a lot of miles on it and it has never given her any trouble, except at 20 below when the heater wasn't plugged in.