• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The Oxygenator

Paul Rohweller

Question

I recently aqquired one of these new fangled oxygenators from Jeff at Scenic Tackle. WOW I didnt want to say anything about them until I ran one in my cooler holding 5+dozen spottail shiners (ya know the tough ones to keep) I didnt lose one in three days so far. And its silent. No more listening to the steady buzz of the old fashioned airstones with those silly rubber airpumps. Battery drain was minimal too, just hook it up to the 12 volt battery that runs my electronics and forget its on. Keep the screens clean and your in buisness!! Good fishin! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
N.P.A.A. 425
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

17 answers to this question

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I've done a little testing myself. I kept a couple scoops of crappie minnows alive in the house at room temp for over 2 weeks.

I also kept river shiners alive on those few days where we were in the mid 80s to 90 temps and they actually just seemed to get livelier as the water warmed up.

CLICK HERE and you can get more info or order your own

Capt'nJosh,

When you have fish or bait in with the Oxygenators, you will have a hard time seeing the small bubbles it gives off. Believe me, as long as there is battery power, it's working. If you have the baitbucket unit, look for the little green LED light next to the screen.

Good luck and keep your bait lively! smile.gif

------------------
Adam Johnson
www.adamjohnsonfishing.com

You guys ran your oxygenators in any dirty water yet? Such as a river. The unit runs too much and makes the water chlorinated. Ask the Pwt pros who ran them and killed all their minnows. There is suppose to be a resistor or a diode to wire in to remedy this. Or so they say.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

SXViper,
it doesn't make the water chlorinated. It doesn't produce chlorine it produces oxygen and hydrogen. It does that because oxygen and hydrogen are both present in a water molecule.

Chlorine is a base element and it would have to be present in some molecule that has chlorine atoms already in it and already in the dirty water you are talking about.

My guess is they over-oxygenated the minnows. You shouldn't use a Livewell Oxygenator (magnum) in a bait only livewell, use the Baitkeeper(mini). Use the Livewell (magnum) in a 20 gallon or better livewell.

This is info that I heard from a source at the tourney. Ask the guy on here that sells the things. They have a resistor for them now. This is what I have heard. No talk.

I have been running my livewell unit on the rivers since March. Both the Illinois and the Mississippi. I have never had a problem with dead bait or fish. In fact, I have recovered two fish that would have been dead for sure without the unit. Even though I am running the oxygenator or I still run my livewell occasionally to exchange some water.

So far 7 river tournaments this year and no problems at all!

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com

I have not had a problem with my units at all. I just had about 3 dozen shiners in my bait well for 2 days and this unit kept them alive with no problem.

My guess is that if there was a problem it was because they had to much oxygen in the water. Some are trying to use the live well units for small bait wells thinking
that more is better. This is not always the case.

Jeff Beckwith
Scenic Tackle
[email protected]

My worked great for crappie minnows earlier. But on opener I had 2-3 dozen shinners in my minnow bucket and I did have some die off. I know that's a lot of minnows in a bucket, so do I need to get an old cooler or 5 gal bucket to keep bait?

Sxviper,

I just got off the phone with the President of Aqua Innovations in regards
to this issue.

You are right. They did have a problem with 6 units that were proto type
units installed in boats that were fishing the tournament. These units
were OEM units that were not available to the public. You were also right
in saying they did not have a limiter device on this unit when they first came
out and this did cause problems.

Since this problem was brought to the attention of Aqua Innovations this
problem was rectified immediately. All the Pro Fisherman who had
problems with these units at first are now using the updated unit with
great results. Several boat manufacturers have ordered and are
installing these units in their boats at this time. Had this been a problem
that was not addressed and rectified immediately these boat manufactures
that rely on the information from the Pro's and from their pro staffs
would not be installing these units.

It should be noted that this problem did occur only on OEM units and not
units that are or were available to the public. The Bucket and Magnum
models have always had this limiter device that is needed already installed
in them.

Mr. Big,

I would suggest that you try a cooler for that many minnows. When I am
using my units for a large number of minnows that is what I have began
doing also.

SXViper was correct. To run properly, there needs to be solids in the water, such as ions, small particles of various solids, even fish waste, so the unit can electrolically separate the oxygen from the hydrogen. It is possible to create chlorine by adding very extreme amounts of oxygen to water (both chlorine and extreme amounts of oxygen will kill bait).

Like Jeff said, there was a problem in the river since there are SO many solids that the test units that Eric Naig and Scott Fairburn were testing for Aqua Innovations that this condition occured.

Like SXViper and Jeff stated the test units were fixed so that that when these units do hit the public, there will be no problems. That's why companies have pro-staffs, to test new products in extreme conditions to test for ANY problems that may occur. Luckily, Aqua Innovations has such a great hard working supportive pro-staff!

------------------
Adam Johnson

What size oxygenator do you recommend for about 10 to 15 gallons of water?
I was thinking the livewell version but wasn't sure.
Its for a livewell (15 gal) & minnow tank (10 gal).
Thanks

[This message has been edited by PikeEye (edited 05-16-2003).]

Thanks Adam! Looks like I might have to look into getting one then.

------------------
times ticken so start fishing

PikeEye,

The livewell model (Magnum) is the one you want. It is rated for 10 to 32 gallons and the Mini is rated for 2 to 5 gallons. With a 15 gallon livewell and 10 gallon minnow tank, the Magnum will be just the ticket to keep your bait lively and fish alive.

Good luck and tight lines!

------------------
Adam Johnson