• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pre-wired Setup for Trolling Motor

Blaze

Question

Howdy. I officially joined the family of Minnkota Maxxum owners last Friday (24v/74#) and I'm now trying to get that beast wired properly on my '00 Crestliner Phantom. I have a quick question that will hopefully save me a ton of frustration - hope you guys can help:

I have a pre-wired plug in the bow of my boat with wires that run to the stern. There are 4 of them: red, black, orange, and black with blue stripe. Being the plug is a 12/24v and I have 4 wires at the stern, I'm assuming I need to run them direct to each battery rather than only using 2 and running the batteries in series. Is this correct? If so, which color wires are matched with which? I blew 2 inline fuses trying different combos last night and cannot find anything in my Crestliner manual. HELP.

Thanks in advance.

9 answers to this question

No jumpers will be needed because if you wire the plug the orange and black the plug will do the jumper for you. you should have no problem then. let us know if you do.

------------------
JIM PAYNE

If it is the big round Marinco plug you can just put the ground from the trolling motor into the - on the male plug end. Then just put the positive into either the 12V or the 24v hole depending on your motors voltage and the boat side of the plug will do the rest as Jim said. grin.gif

Howdy. I officially joined the family of Minnkota Maxxum owners last Friday (24v/74#) and I'm now trying to get that beast wired properly on my '00 Crestliner Phantom. I have a quick question that will hopefully save me a ton of frustration - hope you guys can help:

I have a pre-wired plug in the bow of my boat with wires that run to the stern. There are 4 of them: red, black, orange, and black with blue stripe. Being the plug is a 12/24v and I have 4 wires at the stern, I'm assuming I need to run them direct to each battery rather than only using 2 and running the batteries in series. Is this correct? If so, which color wires are matched with which? I blew 2 inline fuses trying different combos last night and cannot find anything in my Crestliner manual. HELP.

Thanks in advance.

Blaze,

Hook up the red and black to one battery and the orange and black w/blue stripe to the other battery.

At the plug connect the orange wire to the positive wire coming from the trolling motor and the black wire on the plug to the black wire on the trolling motor.

And I think that's it... let me know if it works...

marine_man

If you already have your baot wired with 2 batteries and have 4 wires to the front of your boat, all you will need is a new plug for your trolling motor. As posted before use the Black and Orange wires on the plug.

I just switched to 24 V and had a heck of a time figuring it out. I gues I should have asked here.
Hope this helps!
Good Luck

Crestliner knows alot about the boats they make but I would not count on them to help you with anything else. They are a boat manufacture not a trolling motor company. The reason I know this is because I have been to the factory and they are trying my new stayncharge system in the factory boat. So my point is if you have questions about boats call the manuf and if you have questions about trolling motors the best person to ask is the manuf unless they are trying to sale you a onboard charger. The wiring is not hard to figure out so don;t make it hard. Good luck

------------------
JIM PAYNE

Call Crestliner, I did, those techs will answer any questions you have, and you know you will have the correct answer.

320-616-5600

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you guys. Yes, I did get it going after all.

The secret: a jumper from neg to neg across the 2 batteries and off she went! My trolling motor male plug was also wired backwards so I fixed that too.

Odd thing though...I talked to a shop tech @ Crystal marine, talked to a guy from a trolling motor shop I found online and gave them a call, got opinions here, and talked to a guy from work about it too. Each person I asked had a different answer. Bottom line: TRIAL AND ERROR is what it took. That stinks, but it paid off in the end.

Thanks for your input guys.