• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2.5 hp. won't start!!!!

Aquaman01

Question

Hi. Got a used motor from a supposedly reputable source end of last season and have tried to start it for 2 days now - nothing but a stiff elbow.

It's a 2.5 hp Johnson Sea-horse (beige). I stored it indoors all winter. Plug gets spark - cylander gets fuel. We thought I may have flooded it Tuesday night 'cause I didn't know about the vacuum fuel pump gizmo. I let the cylander dry overnight and then yesterday I gradually gave it choke while still yanking for all I could give it. Zip. I checked the plug for gas after evry add'l fuel adjustment. I stopped yanking when the plug was wet, but no vroom. Not a single putt.

My next step is gonna be to hook up a compression tester and here's where my questions come in -

What should the normal compression reading for this type of motor be?

Am I missing something glaringly obvious?
I know squat about small engines and less-than-squat about outboards.

Any pointers will be appreciated. Thanks -

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

6 answers to this question

Try to just spray some mix into carb throat while holding throttle open, then try to start it again (leave throttle at normal start setting).
Compression should be even all 2 cylinders, even 90lbs would be fine, but if higher should be better.
DON'T use starting fluid.

[This message has been edited by Valv (edited 05-08-2003).]

Thanks, Valv. I was hoping you'd turn up! That sounds simple enough that I may be able to try it before taking off this evening!

2 cylanders? I only saw one plug. How do I get the dang cowling off?

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

[This message has been edited by Aquaman01 (edited 05-08-2003).]

Sorry, Aquaman, I meant 1 cylinder, I was picturing a small Johnson I have here approx 5hp.
I wish you were closer, I could have looked to it, but Faribault is quite a long way from Buffalo.

Anyway take it easy, I know that you are looking at that big hammer in garage shocked.gif just start all over and check it slowly.

If you want I can lend you a boat. I have some small OBs here, but I have to go through them, I don't know conditions.

[This message has been edited by Valv (edited 05-08-2003).]

Thanks for that generous and kind offer, Sir!
Yeah - that 4 lb. drilling hammer looked like a good tool after about the 400th pull. My kids laughing at me kept humble and contained. Next person, though, who comes up and says "fish this trash can much, do ya?" is gonna get dunked.

I have a plan B & C. No worries. Not gonna let a minor detail like propulsion fubar a perfectly good trip! I got an old electric trolling motor (from The Ark) and oars. I'm hitting a small lake, and I'll try spraying mix in the carb once or twice before s-canning the idea.

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

I think you got her loaded up. Drain the gas in the carbs bowl.
Pull the plug and pull it over a couple dozen times. Let her sit for a while. Put in a new plug and try starting it without any choke. If it doesnt pop in a few pulls pull the plug and look to see if its wet.
If it is wet tap the carb next to the bowel then repeat the above steps. When you go to start it again open the throtle as far as you can and pull on it a couple dozen times.

If the plug is dry give it a shot of mixed gas through the carb or spay a little into the cylinder through the plug hole.
Good Luck, ST.

[This message has been edited by Surface Tension (edited 05-08-2003).]

Hey Aquaman,

Sounds like it could be any number of things as is usually the case. If you are gonna be in the cities any time soon, I would be more than willing to help you out.

If you "feel" compression on the starting cord of a single cylinder 2-stroke, it should still at least fire....it may not run at lower compression, but it should fire.

It sounds like you explored the fuel issue a little.......

A common problem with the older sea horses is the rubber flapper type fuel pump...

Make sure that the bulb gets firm when you squeeze it(if not, the carb bowl float is likely sticking or the needle valve is not seating properly)....

Also pull the fuel hose off the carb and make sure that by squeezing the bulb, you get full fuel flow. Then pull the start cord a few times and make sure the pump is creating flow.

The other likely source of the problem is the that the jet in the carb is partially clogged with debris.

Like I said, I'm more than willing to help.

------------------
"Just a sCRAPPIE CAT, BASSking on an EYE-jerking SUNNY day, PERCHspiring to avoid PIKEological addiction."

Here....Fisheeeeeeee!!